Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a '56 Chevy and was wondering about re-chroming the taillights. I don't mind spending the time detailing them, but what is the process I use to re-paint them after the plating is done? Do I need to etch the chrome in order for the paint to stick? Am I better off buying high quality reproductions? My taillights are pitted, but otherwise complete. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Usually chrome plating doesn't have a clear coat. Chrome is a material that can stand up to nearly anything and polish back up nicely. If you insist on clearing over them you can either get a clear powdercoating put on or use a polyurethane coating. If you choose the poly coating or any urethane you can use a product from POR-15 called metal ready that will etch the surface for a coating of clear. They also sell a superb polurethane clear for polished surfaces called Glisten PC.

HK

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input, but the paint I was asking about is the black 'stripes' that are alternated with the chrome on the taillights. How do I paint on a freshly chromed surface?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Alright, I appologize. You can still use powdercoating as an option. You can also use POR-15's metal ready on a Q-tip and either airbrush or hand brush the stripes on.

HK

·
Registered
1 Posts
AWHILE AGO I LOOKED AROUND FOR REPLACEMENT 56 TAILLIGHTS FOR MY 56. BEST PRICE I HEARD WAS $325 FOR RECHROMED, $60 FOR CORE. THIS WAS FROM: [email protected] GOOD LUCK

·
Slider in Wa.
700 Posts
Why are you yelling?
Slider in Wa.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input. Yes, I do 'chevytalk', but don't spend too much time on-line. I'm fairly new to rebuilding/restoring, but have been the backyard mechaninc for longer than I would like to mention. There is a plating shop in town, but was wondering what technique to use to finish them off. I don't mind spending the time masking, etching, and painting. I thought the Gene Smith taillights looked pretty good, but hate to spend that much ($425) unless I have to. The frugal mechanic gets to buy all of his parts sooner!

I'm a long way from needing the chrome pieces, but I can work on those parts at home when my wife gets tired of me working at the shop!

I have several pair of taillights and thought of re-chroming them all if the first pair turn out okay. It's easier to sell them at swap meets if they look their best!

Thanks again for your help,

Steve

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
how much does it cost to rechrome like taillights? bumpers? i heard its very expensive. i have to rechrome all trim inmy '57 wagon

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check out <a href="http://www.bumperboyz.com" target="_blank">www.bumperboyz.com</a> Their prices aren't too bad and their workmanship is excellent. They travel to shows all over the country and bring a pretty extensive inventory. I haven't gone to my local plater yet, but will let you know as soon as I get some prices.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts