Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, great site with lots to learn, this is my 1st post. The paint on my car's hood is peeling off and looks horrible, I really need to fix this. As of now it is red with a clear coat. I plan to strip it to bare metal with a chemical stripper. Now, I've read alot about painting but I've never done it before. I'm on a limited budget and I like the look of a red car with a flat black hood, so I think this is how I will finish it.

1- What is the best primer to use on this bare metal? (I have a Dupont supplier nearby)

2 - Can I tint a primer with some black basecoat and leave it like that or do i have to put a basecoat on top to repel weather/ environmental damage?

Tools I have: Devilbis 120 psi compressor with regulator, a Chia Chung spray gun (don't know specs), and I will be getting a sanding block and paper.

I am looking for a nice even paint job that is black with little to no shine and will withstand daily driving. Thanks in advance for any help.

FC :confused:

·
Registered
106 Posts
HAHA!! There is a thread on this type of paint that is like 12 pages long.. Anyway i just bought some John Deere Blitz Black paint (suede, real light sheen to it.) and the Buff primer again through the JD dealer along with the reducer. For a gallon of each the total was $66.55, so i would say look up your local JD dealer and see if they have it in stock. Great price and will hold up to daily driving without a problem.. That way you get a topcoat on the primer with the retro black look...Good luck on your journey..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts