Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY GUYS
I got a quick question will 1.6 rockers help??? I have been trying to get my 55 Chevy at least a tenth or more faster at the track.. it has been running 12,79 for the last few weeks i want somewhere around 12,50s before the track closes down for the winter,, only 2 races left down here in KY :mad: ...

right now the 406 in my 55 has a set of 1.5 ratio roller rocker's on it, I do have a new set of crane 1.6 ratio rocker's but i really didn't want to stick them on there if they wouldn't help that much..... i do know that they make the cam lift higher and most of the time sound better,
BUT HAS ANYONE SEEN ANY GAIN IN TRACK TIMES??

thanks for any help with this, the next race is sat morning at Edgewater Park in OH, and i would really like to get some feedback on this.. :confused:

THANKS AGAIN..

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
XNTRCI-T said:
You sure you got the valve to piston clearance for the extra lift?

well i haven't took the head off to check everything the correct way BUT my car is now only running a small dome piston and a 515 lift cam,,, with that said im 98% sure it will be just fine,,,

if i decide to change them ill check out as much as possible, i will do everything i can do w/o taking the head off that is....
a good friend of mine is running the same combo on his car and it is working just fine, he started running with 1.6 rockers so he don't know if they helped him or not compared to the 1.5s..... thanks for any and all info on this switch.. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
It is total crapshoot. We dyno test alternative rockers ALL THE TIME on engines. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it does nothing. A lot depends on how well the current cam is matched to the rest of the package. I have never seen it "hurt" power.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

malc said:
Here?s an article from Chevy High Performance where they swap 1.5s for 1.6s on a Chevy 406.
406 rocker swap article
Click to enlarge the comparison chart at bottom :thumbup:

thanks for the link, its very helpfully....

well it sounds to me like im going to make a coin toss on doing the work or not lol

thanks guys :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts