Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that trick flow has an adapter for sale that allows the use of perimeter bolt valve covers for centerbolt heads. I'm just curious if it's possible to machine the stock vortec heads to allow the use of perimeter covers? I haven't seen a vortec head so I don't know how the valve covers sit to see if it's even possible. Thanks

Jason

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mmm because plans changed and may pick up a set of vortecs instead of getting my 487's worked on. So I had already bought and powder coated the set of valve covers that I wanted to run.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's all I'm looking to find out. If I really want to use my covers to get the adapters or run just centerbolts. The reason I ask is because from what I have read is that some newer casting vortecs have both patterns. Might be wrong, I dunno. Hence why I am asking.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you run roller rockers you might need the adapters for perimeter bolt valve covers regardless. Even the GM Performance catalog has the adapters and mentions the problem. They are not cheap though. Probably around $150.00 for the pair.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
1,642 Posts
I've tried drilling and tapping the rails and using small studs. It really doesn't work because of the differences in the mating surface of an early valve cover vs the centerbolt.

There is not really enough material to drill and tap either. One slip of the bit and you've walked off the side.

Use the adapters or buy some nice center bolt covers. I work for Speedway and we even have an oldie style set of finned tall covers that are center bolt.

Brian

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've read some people on here say that they were able to use the adapters and full bodies rollers with no clerance problems. If that's the case then that would be a win win almost. I could use my valve covers and get the cheaper standard roller rockers.

·
Hammer and a torch
1,254 Posts
Been there done that... :D

Vortec

Used GM adapters and with a die grinder and a black marker it takes about 20-30 min. to make the clearance for the rocker shafts... Then you can use short early valve covers all day long... You can use the tall ones but no need and really gives to much clearance...

Also note the intake is not a Vortec intake but does work with the heads being modified correctly... Also note the date of the picture and back up 2 years as when it was built which would be 2001... If anyone would like to know how to modify a Vortec head to work with a reg intake such as the TeamG or Victor Jr. just PM me...

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
I never had any luck getting the GM adapters to seal long term. They use an o-ring between the head and the adapter but the adapter is not stiff enough to squeeze the o-ring down on the head. And you have to be careful when you tighten the perimeter valve covers down as you can warp the adapter with to much torque. I had some adapters made from billet aluminum that used a cork/metal gasket but they were only marginally better. So, I have drilled the perimeter pattern on the Vortecs many times using a mill with a plunge bit. You still have to seal the holes due to the lack of surface so I use some 1/4 flat washers that have a rubber gasket bonded to them. I think the washers are for metal roofing.

·
Registered
780 Posts
i have 4.3 vortec heads. there are no GOOD looking covers for them. there are sheet metal covers, $400+ a set, but they are FUGLY. i have been thinking about milling the holes for perimeter covers. then brazing or welding in bungs. i just have yet to try it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.