Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Has anyone on this forum put a rack and pinion in a hot rod with a dropped solid front axle? I have Mustang cross steering in my 34' Ford coupe and it steers like an old farm truck. I know it can be done, but haven't seen any articles on this conversion. I love my chrome superbell front axle and won't give it up for independent front suspension, just need to improve on the steering.
Thanks, Kyle hot34 coupe

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a rack + pinion on my axle that I am putting in my 26 T. I am still building it but I have seen and talked to 2 others that have this setup and they like it. I believe it is from a Shay replica of a Model A. I am still figuring out a way to create a telescoping connection between the U-joints for suspension travel, I think GM used a shaft that collapsed and I need to see if that will work. There are pictures of my setup in my project journal.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Have you looked into the Unisteer system. Duece is installing one in his 32 and has pics in his journal. I have one to put into my 32 also but I haven't driven one yet although Duece has and he said he liked it.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
R&P in a 34' coupe

heyjude076 said:
Have you looked into the Unisteer system. Duece is installing one in his 32 and has pics in his journal. I have one to put into my 32 also but I haven't driven one yet although Duece has and he said he liked it.

Just a thought.
Yes, I received info from Deuce about the setup he has and he seems to be very happy with it. As soon as I buy the 101 other items I still need for the car I will probably go for the Unisteer system. AT least for now it is steerable and safe. I drove it for the first time the other day and boy does it haul ***! :D Going to have to be careful with this car, heavy right foot =tickets. No windshield in it yet so lots of free A/C! :cool: The temp was 76 here yesterday and 36 today. :(

·
Registered
389 Posts
bullheadbum said:
I have a rack + pinion on my axle that I am putting in my 26 T. I am still building it but I have seen and talked to 2 others that have this setup and they like it. I believe it is from a Shay replica of a Model A. I am still figuring out a way to create a telescoping connection between the U-joints for suspension travel, I think GM used a shaft that collapsed and I need to see if that will work. There are pictures of my setup in my project journal.
Great post! That's gonna be an awesome ride! I have always loved the telephone booths. I'm doing the same front suspension to a rat rod VW beetle but I am not as far along as you are. I see that you have mounted the rack to the axle. That was one of my questions in the post that I put up. Please check out my post on straight axle front end with a rack and pinion. I have seen people mount them to the chassis and run the two tie rods out to the spindles. But this can't be right because it seems to me that this would cause an ever changing toe-in toe-out problem. I don't think the cars that I have seen it on were driven much. Maybe we can collaborate. I could use some tech help.

Thanks!
Chris

·
Registered
625 Posts
If the steering is too hard and you have the space, install longer steering arms out at the spindles. That will give you more leverage on the tire/wheel assembly and make steering easier. Another "fix" is to install a larger diameter steering wheel. Also, you might consider reducing the positive caster setting. That will help low speed turning effort. A degree or two will make a noticeable difference. Last but not least, run up the front tire pressure.

Andy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts