Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing A/C in my 37 Ford, it has a 350 chevy engine, the car has the original fire wall so my clearance is limited. My problem is I'm starting out with a new Walker radiator with a cooling fan and condenser, it was a chore just to get the radiator to fit and have clearance between the cooling fan motor and the water pump pulley. My next problem is I can't get the hood to close, I believe I can remedy this with trimming out the edge of the hood doing this will make the hood fit but also will eliminate the stock hood latch, does anyone know who sells a different type of hood latch that would bolt to the top of the grill?
Thanks
Joe

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Auto-Loc has a latch, that has the secondary latch included and the price is pretty good. See it here:
http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/Autoloc/detail.lasso?itemid=BCTR You might want to call about the price. The website seems to be a little discombobulated :confused: .

You would need to get your own cable from lokar or the lawnmower supply house. Whichever suits your tastes.

I think that speedway makes a plain dress up panel that bolts to the top of the grill, that could be cut to fit the latch, or you could just cut a flat plate from alum or SS.

I have also used the hood latch from a dodge D-50 pickup on several occasions. 10-15 bucks at the junkyard gets the latch, striker pin and cable. Alot of the imports from the 80s and 90s have some really compact latches with secondary latching capabilities.
Hope this helps, mikey

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike:
I will take your advise thanks very much for the quick response, some days your just at wits end this helps a bunch.

Joe

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Be very careful if you have a stock 37 Ford Passenger car steel hood.

These pancake design hoods are very often , and quickly and easily, bent and cracked when placed under stress. They usually crater just forward of where the hood hinges bolt on near the rear. A little reinforcement with some strap steel wouldn't be a bad idea especially if you are considering a spring loaded pin style latch mechanism from a late model car or truck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts