Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a radiator flow in either direction? The radiator in the F-150 donor truck I just bought is side mounted (the "tanks" are on the left and right, not the top and bottom.) I'd like to spin this rad 90 degrees (long direction will now be vertical instead of horizontal) and use it in my new project. However, the filler neck is on the same end of the rad as the bottom hose off the block. If I spin the rad so the filler neck is still at the top, then the hose that was connected to the bottom of the block will now be connecting to the top of the block. Anyone see any potential problems?

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Other than the fact that crossflow rads are more efficient at rejecting heat than downflows and likely it will be to tall to fit and then you will have to fabricate a new filler neck in the proper position not to mention the possibility that the rad hose inlet and outlet are likely different sizes.

No problems other than those. You would be better off finding a crossflow that will fit in the junkyard and modifying the inlet and outlets on it.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4 Jaw Chuck said:
Other than the fact that crossflow rads are more efficient at rejecting heat than downflows
So when I spin the unit 90 degrees I'll have a "downflow" rad and it will be less efficient at cooling than in the original position? Any idea how much less efficient? One of the reasons I want to use this unit is that I know it was adequately sized for this engine. But if the cooling efficiency is radically altered that assumption goes out the window.

4 Jaw Chuck said:
and likely it will be to tall to fit
I have some flexibility on the height issue - so my initial measurements indicate I can make it fit. It's going into a model A type grill shell - thus tall and skinny is ideal.

4 Jaw Chuck said:
and then you will have to fabricate a new filler neck in the proper position
I think I lucked out here. The end "tanks" have 45 degree corners and the original filler neck was located on the top, driver's side, corner. If I spin the unit 90 degrees to the left, the filler neck will still be on the 45 degree corner but now it will be the riders side corner. However, in this position there will be about a 3/4 inch area of air at the top of the unit (won't completely fill because of the angle of the filler neck.)

4 Jaw Chuck said:
not to mention the possibility that the rad hose inlet and outlet are likely different sizes.
This is, in fact, the case. The original bottom feed had 1 3/4 inch i.d. and the original top feed had 1 1/2 inch i.d. These would now be reversed. I can fabricate hoses to fit but I'm wondering how much this will effect the efficiency. My initial thought is the flow of the entire system is only as good as the smallest diameter so it doesn't make any difference if the more restrictive pipe is on the inlet or outlet side. Is there some other dynamic taking place inside the rad that requires this difference in inlet/outlet sizing?

4 Jaw Chuck said:
You would be better off finding a crossflow that will fit in the junkyard and modifying the inlet and outlets on it.
Actually, if I could find a crossflow with the correct width and height I don't think I'd have to modify anything. But I can't imagine a rad in that configuration. I think almost anything "tall and skinny" will be downflow rather than crossflow.

Thanks Jmark and arch for your comments as well - I just used 4-Jaw's response because it covered all the bases.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
brainsboy said:
Just curious what are you putting this in?
It's going in a new project - something of an econo-rod experiment. The plan at the moment is to hand form a steel model A roadster body and put it on either a modified F-150 frame or a scratch built frame with F-150 Twin I Beam front and 9" rear.

I just got the "donor truck" for the project, an '81 F-150 and as I was tearing it apart I noticed that if the radiator was spun 90 degrees it just might fit into a modified model A grill shell. Thus the above question about flow direction. BTW, the donor truck is also providing a 351 and C6 as well.

I'm trying to build this along the lines of my '32 pickup (which also has the twin I-beams) but do it on a very slim budget - as something of an experiment in low bucks rod building.

Dewey

1 - 6 of 6 Posts