Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi... My 36 Ford w/ 5.7 chevy motor has no radiator overflow reservoir system.
Every once in a while I'll notice antifreeze on my garage floor and its coming from my overflow pipe.
My question is do i need a overflow reservoir system or is it something else.
I changed the thermostat (2) times and finally removed it entirely. The engine does not over heat.

Bob.

·
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty
13,765 Posts
What i did was got the reservoir and it could be used either way, with or without the vent, i went with the vent in top so it would recirculate works great for me , when it does puke it re-circulate back through the radiator not on the ground. :thumbup:

Cole
:pimp:

·
Slow but willing learner
5,407 Posts
In the old days Bob, all radiators had a fairly large top tank. My 36 Ford radiator has about a gallon or so tank on top. The reason for the large upper tank is the antifreeze/water will expand a significant amount when the engine gets warm. That is why new cars have a cold and hot line on the overflow tanks. If your engine does not overheat leave the coolant about one to one and a half inches down so it has room to expand and it will quit dripping. if it doesn't have room to expand though it will puke....... guaranteed.

John L

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.