Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We finally got some rain in central Indiana after going 81 days with only 2 tenths of an inch. I didn't mind not mowing my 3 acre yard, but things were getting pretty brown and I have a nice pile of wood for a bonfire that I can now burn. The thing that really made me mad was that I was actually staged against a V-8 S-10 pickup at Indy Raceway Park when the rain hit. I was actually staged and was torquing the tires for my first run of the night and the rain let loose and shut the drags down for the night. What a bummer!! BTW I was racing my 95 Z-28, not the truck in my gallery.

·
Grillin Randy
550 Posts
Wow, 81 days without rain. This year has been wet around here but it had been very dry for the past couple of years.

I have heard of racing bringing the rain before.

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Its raining here in OHIO too.

We are looking at rain the next 5 days and into next week once the temp goes back up its still going to rain?? I guess its better than and earily SNOW...can I use that 4 letter word...snow?

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
1,642 Posts
No rain in Indiana is a strange deal. I lived in the Columbus area for 12 years. The first year I lived there (1986) it rained for the entire month of November.

We have experienced extreme drought here in SW Kansas for four years, until the deluge we have had this year. Weather patterns seem strange, but long-term they are predictable in times of drought, etc

Even still, there has been so much irrigation out here, that the aquifer has dropped dramatically. It's rained the entire summer, but yet, the Arkansas river remains dry.

Mining water is an unwise practice.

·
Be American, Buy American!
222 Posts
Re: Its raining here in OHIO too.

tm454 said:
We are looking at rain the next 5 days and into next week once the temp goes back up its still going to rain?? I guess its better than and earily SNOW...can I use that 4 letter word...snow?

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

Yes, but only if you want to play (another 4 letter word that I wonder about) in it.

Al

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
It has been 39 days straight with no rain here,broke a record set in the 50's.My water bill has been astronomical because I have sod out front and trying to keep it alive has been a challenge.Some people who had homes built gave up and they have brown yards now.Last night at work I stood outside in the rain since I had forgotten what it felt like.

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
We've had so much rain this year!!!

We haven't had much in the last week, but it was so bad, that I could barely get the lawn mowed in a few areas. Even then , I thought I would sink the mower!

·
How can it go faster?
240 Posts
Rain here for months in North Idaho when it should be snow. Our climate is about 3 months ahead of schedule at this point. Thinking about the lawn when I should be thinking about snow.

:thumbup:

·
How can it go faster?
240 Posts
Life is good here with a daily high in the upper 30's when it should be in the low teens (10-15) We won't even discuss nightly lows..... :thumbsup:

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
We have had 34 days straight of rain here..if I could send you guys some I would so I could dry out a bit..

OMT

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
Strange weather everywhere...

The weather in western Canada in general, but central Alberta in particular can change VERY suddenly.

If I recall, it was +22°C (a little more than average room temperature ) on November 23rd but was down to -30°C (Brrr!) about 1 week later!

Other than about that one week ( in early December) this has been a "non-winter" for us. There have been trace amounts of snow, but it hasn't lasted long.

As weather seems to "balance itself out" over a period of time ... I think we'll pay for this mild winter with another cold and wet spring?

We had a very SOGGY summer this past year, especially late June. Record rainfalls and extensive flooding ... the worst in at least 100 years. Bizarre storms ... Melville Saskatchewan had a severe t'storm that dumped 100 mm in less than 1 hour!

Here is some coverage for anyone that's interested :
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1119116841257_181/?hub=TopStories

·
How can it go faster?
240 Posts
I hear ya with the sudden temperature change....we were at a daily high in the upper 30's then a week later we were down to the single digits...week later, back up above freezing. I work outside and I think I have more clothes in my Blazer truck than in my house.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I've just been outside pumping water from a small tank into a larger one. It's 3:00pm and 42.3c (112f), a friend with a large cattle run in western NSW rang an hour ago and said it is 46c (126f).
I'll swap a case of Irish whiskey for 20 tons of snow - sender pays frieght.

·
Just a firefighter
324 Posts
Rain?? Whats that? We finally got a little bit of wet stuff falling from the sky, it might help out a very little bit on the wild fires around here but I'm not sure if that stuff is called rain, I can't remember.......

·
How can it go faster?
240 Posts
I think the mold is gonna carry me away....or rot me away, whichever happens first....rain/thawing has load limits on the roads here resulting in me being laid off as they cannot haul concrete, lumber, etc...actually was thinking of trying to auction off a handcrafted snowball on ebay just to see the results.

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
IanRiordan said:
It's 3:00pm and 42.3c (112f), a friend with a large cattle run in western NSW rang an hour ago and said it is 46c (126f).
Hmmm... sounds like we need to build an inter-continental pipeline / heat exchanger. :D

Too expensive? Think of the money we'd save on winter travel!
:D :D :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts