Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hot rod I am trying to build from a 41 chev body and 1970 camero front end. The clip was put on the frame by the previous owner and now I find it is too low. When I put 205 75 r14 tires on it and lower in on to the ground the frame is only about 4 inches off the ground and the front tires can not be turned because they hit the inside of the fender, but does not rub on the frame. If I put smaller tires on it , I will be able to turn but the frame will be touching the ground. I am wondering if I could put either stronger 5x11.5" coil springs in it or get longer springs so that the coil spring would be extended the same length under load as it is now at rest? How would this affect the safety and ride? The front end works great as long as it is hanging in the air and not touching any thing.
Thank you
:confused:

·
Registered
84 Posts
use big block fire bird springs. They will raise the ft. end but the ride will be harsh. and the alignment may have issues. Or relocate the clip.Or put spring risers in the top. They are available thur stempf.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
The front end works great as long as it is hanging in the air and not touching any thing.
"This gun works fine as long as you don't pull the trigger".

The problem began with using a Camaro clip on an early Chevy. It's too wide.

I'm in agreement with 46streetrod, you could probably band-aid the whole mess with a little more spring. I'm unfamiliar with the company he mentioned, but I do know that the fellows at Eaton Detroit Spring can fix it for you if anyone can. Call 'em up and talk with 'em.....
Their phone number is in the upper right corner of this page.....
EATON Detroit Spring - The leading manufacturer of leaf and coil springs for the street rod and restoration industries

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
It's nearly impossible to raise it any great amount using springs, spacers, or other similar methods. You can make it ride horrible, but it won't come up much. Further the tire will start leaning in at the top,and it will be impossible to align.

The only way to do it that is even close to right is custom control arms, both upper and lower that mount the spindle lower in relation to the frame, and that is not ideal, because you will gain camber as the suspension moves going down the road.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts