Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of building a motor instead of just purchasing a crate for the first time. I have been researching ways to increase the effective redline of a big block from 5500 to let say 6000 RPM's. So far the only way to do this (I have found) is to use lighter and stronger components (Valves, Springs, Pistons, Rods ect.. ) thus reducing the engines inertia while maintaining the blue printed design (like cylinder compression)

My question is: Has anyone done or seen Tech notes on increasing an engines peak power Redline thus increasing peak horse power?

·
Registered
864 Posts
solid cam it, some good strong springs and runner up to 7000 ;)

valve float from hydros pumping up and from too weak of valve springs would be your biggest problems. Then a real good balancing, so it doesn't vibrate itself to peices.

Remember though, just running it to a higher rpm doesn't meen you are gonna make more power, it needs to be built with the right components to be able to make power up top.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
A 6000RPM redline is not even a challenge, should be simple. As Dubz said, don't build the engine just for 6000RPM. You have to match everything (cam , compression, intake, heads, etc...) and all this needs to be matched to the car it is going it. Things like tranny type, rear gears, weight of the vehicle, all come into play when trying to make the most of what you have.

I agree a solid cam is the way to go if you want to rev in the 6000-6500+ range.

If you say what your goals are (other than 6000RPM) there are a lot of guys here that can point you in the right direction. Just be sure to match your parts, buying a huge cam with a manifold or heads that don't support it will only hurt your power output. What I am saying is buy part that work in the same RPM range. The car, use of the car, rear gears, tranny, will dictate what the RPM range is or should be. Once you know that then you build the engine accordingly.

Royce

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
Just as camaroman said, it has to be build to what needs it means. but keep in mind, if this is to be a streetmachine, it needs low end torque, and high rpm power comes at a sacrafice of low end power.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Simply increasing RPM without increasing one or more of the following: intake, camshaft specs, cylinder heads or exhaust system most likely will only cause you to make less power faster.

Valvetrain weight is an issue with big blocks so anything you can do to lighten it up is a positive. But, you will want to have a cam ground to compliment the ability to rev up to your max point.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Hi revs.

I would highly recommend having your engine balanced. Not only will this help its survivability at the higher RPM, but balancing has in fact been shown to be a power producer in its own right.

Your Big Block, with a stout street cam and intake combination, along with headers, and peak compression of around 9-9.5:1 will easily turn 6000 RPM, even without any porting work on the heads. You will want to make sure you have a valve train that can handle that RPM as well.

I totally agree with Double Vision and Camaroman.

A good package like the Performer RPM cam and intake with a 750-850 CFM carb, headers, Ignition mods, and the afore mentioned balancing and valvetrain mods, would get you where you are wanting to go.

And beyond

·
Registered
722 Posts
All of the above have good points. Your increase is no sweat for a stock BBC. What you have mentioned is not needed in a street car. Now, you start looking at 6500 and beyond, then you need good components.

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.