Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Drive Fast, Take Chances!!
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has a 96 ford ranger with a 2.3 L four cylinder in it. he has been talking about maybe putting a small block in it. How hard would it be to do all of the swap and computer stuff? also would the stock 5-speed stand up to the power of a small block? I am a Chevy guy but my buddy is attached to this ranger.I also just took a 305 out of my 86 GMC would that be a big pain to convert that. Is there somewhere to get any adapters for this? This is going to be driven on the street daily and needs to be dependable. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
34 Posts
SBF in Ranger

Easiest, but not necessarily the cheapest, is to get a wrecked V8 Explorer as a donor vehicle. Most of the Explorer stuff will fit the Ranger with minimal modification. That way you will have all the hardware, software, and wiring necessary. You will need the beefier suspension anyway.
The 4-cylinder's trans will not take the upgrade to V8 especially if you plan to tow anything. Mustang trans should do it for you.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
go to JTR.com they have conversion parts motor mounts radiators oil pans and headers and a few others. ive noticed ford rangers look to have more room under the hood with a ford v8 than an s10 with a smallblock. now a cousin of mine and his buddies build mustangs and they use ford ranger 5 speed transmissions, said the gears are stouter. i dont know but their gettin away with it.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
runn141 said:
go to JTR.com they have conversion parts motor mounts radiators oil pans and headers and a few others. ive noticed ford rangers look to have more room under the hood with a ford v8 than an s10 with a smallblock. now a cousin of mine and his buddies build mustangs and they use ford ranger 5 speed transmissions, said the gears are stouter. i dont know but their gettin away with it.

4 cyl trans is much lower rated according to BW.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.