Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rat on a Shoestring - Update

At the suggestion of Crazy Larry I've started a new thread on the Rat Project in the General Rodding Tech forum and will continue the updates in this thread. The original thread from the Lounge can be found here:

http://hotrodders.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51528&highlight=rat+on+a+shoestring

The Shoestring Rat has reached another milestone of sorts. The engine and transmission are now mounted and installed. Details of the mount fabrication can be found in my project journal. Here are a couple pics of where I'm at as of 12/13/04 - just a bit over two months into the project.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oldschoolrods said:
Looks good, if i remember correctly thats a 351M?
Yup, it's an M. And at least through the initial build, it will be bone stock unless I discover it needs a rebuild in which case I might do a little work once I have it opened up.

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
DEWEY !!!! Your FLYING on that thing!! Are you retired? Looks like you've been going non-stop! Keep up the great work, it looks awesome!

(Kicking myself, wondering why I can't make progress on my 39....)

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beenaway2long said:
Your FLYING on that thing!! Are you retired?
Yes, I am retired so I can put in quite a few hours. However, I don't kill myself with shop time...I go at it for a few hours and when I start making mistakes or getting overly frustrated, I know it's time to get out of there and go kick the dog for a while. I've also found that it actually helps to take a day, or two, or three totally away from a project to renew one's batteries. Lots of "problems" get suddenly solved when you can step away from them for a while and then come back fresh. (It also helps to ask lots of ?????s on HR.Com). Anyhow, I probably put in about 30-40 hours a week.

And thanks for the words of support.

Dewey

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Lookin' good:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

It's nice to see a 351M and not your average chromed out chevy orange 350 SBC with an edelbrock air cleaner:D

Mike

·
Glad To Be Here
2,240 Posts
Looks very good! Progressing very well. What body style are you going to go with?

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Dutchman said:
Looking great Cboy,
Hows the buget holding out?
Haven't had to spend much over the last couple weeks - I've mostly been putting together the pieces I had already purchased. The last "official" tally was $1,760 spent. And I've probably had to buy about $100 of misc bolts and flat steel since then so roughly speaking: spent -$1,900. Balance in budget - $1,100.

However, I am now about to enter into uncharted territory. The fabrication of the body. And I am pretty much in the dark as to how much I'm going to need in materials for that. In addition I have the following yet to go:

Lights
Gages
Interior
Gas tank
Brake lines
Windshield
Exhaust
Shifter
Drive shaft

So what's left in the budget will get eaten up pretty quickly. My gut tells me I'm going to end up more in the neighborhood of $3,500 rather than $3,000 but I'm still shooting for the original number.

Frisco said:
What body style are you going to go with?
'30 roadster. I figure that has the most basic lines and the fewest compound/complex curves (which is the part I am fearing most in the body build). Also, no top to worry about and no tops to the doors. Both of those features would be very difficult to do and require a great deal of time and effort. This is my first attempt at an all steel body so I'm trying to keep things simple, simple, simple. Besides, it's been almost 35 years since I built my 23 T - so I figure I'm long overdue for another roadster.

But beware, this is hardly going to be any sort of exact replica. At best it will be more of a "stylized" version of a '30 roadster. My skills in sheet metal work are minimal to non-existent. So I'm just hopeful it will have enough of the classic lines so that it will be recognizable (and not too embarrassing).

·
Registered
806 Posts
I think that with a tape measure, a straight edgle, hammers, saws, welder,use of the metal working skills you have, and alot of paitence you can do it cboy.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
'going to try' nothing. i give him till spring thaw to have it on the road and lookin b!tchin.

home made. man that's the stuff.:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
NEW UPDATE: MARCH 13,2005

Due to the Journals being down I obviously have not been able to post updates. And the Photo Gallery is also currently down so I can't even post a teaser pic. HOWEVER, I have come up with an even better solution (at least I hope so). I've continue my Journal on my own web site. It's very simple and crude...just like the rat itself...so it's very fitting.

A number of milestones have been reached in the weeks the Journal has been down so bear with me as I try to catch up with photos and commentary for you. The major milestone posted at the new web site is the completion of the body skeleton. As of these photos it is ready to start hanging sheet metal.

Go here: http://deweydort.supremeserver21.com/ To view the journal.

(Note: this link is now hopefully okay. I moved the journal to a new web host that can handle traffic a little better. I'll have to change the link once more in a couple days when my .com registration is completed.)

And please let me know via PM or in this thread if you have any problems viewing the journal at that site. This is my first attempt at a web site so I'm pretty much in the dark. Actually, it would also be very helpful if you DIDN'T have any problems as well. That will let me know I'm posting everything okay.

I may keep bumping this up for a few days as I continue to upload new picks and to alert people that the project updates are available.

Dewey

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The new link shown in the prior post should now be okay and you should be able to surf the journal updates. Please note that I'll be adding a lot of stuff over the next hours/days so check back often.

Dewey

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Doing it differently

Glad to see someone stretching the envelope on engine usage, and not going with the conventional SBC?SBF/BBC/BBF/ what ever engine.
Ive always been a big advocate of the M block, particularly the 400, since pound for pound, and displacement wise, its probably got more potential than any engine of similar displacement thats been in production.
My dream engine at one time was to build a 400M with closed chamber 4bbl Cleveland heads.
On that note, Weiand makes adaptor plates for using the Cleveland intakes on the M block.

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
All I can say is "cool."

I have a rat rod lawnmower, I know my dad hates that straightpiped briggs, neighbors here in the subburbs probably do too. I get all sorts of wierd looks and some people laugh, but it's fun to ride around on.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Raw body fabrication completed

Another milestone has been reached in the rat on a shoestring project with the completion of the raw body. Here are a few pics (as of 3/11/05). You can now see my updated journal at

http://deweydort.supremeserver21.com

Dewey

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts