Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been a car enthusiast most of my life.
Below are links to You Tube videos of my last two projects.
Sold the Plymouth a couple of years ago the Ford is for sell now.
As seen in the slide shows I built them from the ground up, both are Rat Rods.
Both Rat Rods were built to drive, and be safe.
Hope you enjoy the videos.

39 Plymouth - slide show
39 Plymouth Video
Model A Rat Rod
Ford Model A - slide show

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Your link to the 39 Plymouth didn't work. Here is the correct link.

Although your builds do seem to be well done neither is what most people would consider safe. Among other things, you simply can't have a safe car without a safe floor. Diamond mesh is not by any stretch of the imagination a safe floor. Other than that they seem mostly safe, on a very basic level. They're not something I would want to be seen in but then again rat rods are not my taste, mostly because they're total premise is all wrong.

Why people build cars in that style totally escapes me. Most say its because, "that's the way it was done back in the day". Unfortunately the people who say that weren't even born then and really don't have a clue. That is NOT how it was done. You built the BEST car you could with the money you had. That included paint, bodywork, and mufflers! Not rusted out piles of junk as so many are today. Any self respecting 50's hot rodder wouldn't be caught dead in what most people now days consider a rat rod. Just ask someone old enough to have lived back then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both had solid floors the truck had its original floor the frame was built inside the cab, over the drive shafts are expanded steel with steel strap inside of that which is stronger than the floor of any car. The Ford has a thick aluminum floor, floor mats made from conveyor belting, cross members, race seats with seat belts.

As for the Ford, what we started with was a very rusty body that had been left out in a field an was used for target practice for who knows how long. We reinforced the body with tubing and rod. It is modeled it after the roundy round racers of the '60's there was a picture of one on the inside of the Speed Way catalog.

No, I never said "that's the way it was done back in the day", .... Just ask someone old enough to have lived back then.[/QUOTE]

We didn't have to ask, When an older man saw it at the show, he said it looked like the race cars that were at the tracks.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Paddington said:
..............We didn't have to ask, When an older man saw it at the show, he said it looked like the race cars that were at the tracks.
Roundy round race cars, yes but that's NOT how people built hot rods back then. Race cars, yes but NOT street driven cars.

weirdbeard said:
...... If you want a safe rod buy a new car.........
That statement alone matches the age listed in your profile.

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
Centerline said:
Roundy

That statement alone matches the age listed in your profile.
No old hot rod is as safe as a new car with the technology we have now days. You disagree with this? :confused:

I can't understand why you would fire such a random insult and try and start controversy on this peaceful thread. :rolleyes: How old are you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The thirty's cars were only 20 years old in the Fifties. I wouldn't think they would of taken the speedometer out of their mother's car for the hot rod. But 50 more years have gone by, we are building different stuff because we want to. As like them, we don't fit in. We won't win you trophies at the shows. but we like to come any way, as a child said pointing at our car "that is really old" you see the child didn't see all the shinny cars as being old at all, most of them aren't. At least now the police don't hassle us.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.