Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Bean Counter
40 Posts
Most would say don't even try it, but if you must. I think Duplicolor has the best nozzle. I've heard that the nozzle makes a big difference. Also prep is a big factor too.
I painted my truck with a small $130 craftsman compressor and a $20 gun. It's been almost 3 years, and it sits in the Louisiana sun everyday and it still looks good.

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
put down the rattle can and back away slowly everything is gonna be fine. really a rattle can spray job wont hold up. save your money

·
Registered
92 Posts
These guys are right......the spray can method is a wats eof time in SOME instances.There is a few stories on line ans car craft even did Roll-On white rustoleum paint job and it looked pretty darn good considering they used a brush and paint rollers. but they were experts and the prep work was done as if it was a show car. But you can take dupli color and make it look good. i painted a winter car I drove about 5 years aog with black rustoleum spray. I would imagine since you are saying back yard job that means you really don't care how good it looks as long as it is road worthy(opinionated). Just get at least 9 cans and spray it like you were using a gun....6 inches away and 50% overlap....clear it and make it look good....wet sand if you wanna go that far. IT will look all right...again this is just to do a half way decent job.

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
I painted my Harley with rattle can paint and primer. It is holding up really well.. I am pretty astonished. I used krylon camo. olive drab.

Seems way worth it time and money wise to find a paint you can spray yourself though. Even a $20 spray gun will have at least twice the fan size of a spray bomb. It is frustrating to paint a truck with rattle cans. :smash:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I picked up the duplicolor acrylic laquer and did about 1/4 of the thing last night....if you keep the can close and go slow it don't look half bad ...i'll see what happens after I pressure wash it a few times...lol

·
Giggity Giggity
62 Posts
I rattle canned my truck just over a year just to get a different color on there. I gave it 3 healthy coats and prepped it properly. It has not moved, but has been sitting out in the elements, and its peeling pretty badly in quite a few spots. Once the wiring is done, I will be spraying it one panel at a time.

Basically, dont be upset when it starts to peel in the not so distant future.

·
Vanity Auto & Marine Detailing
20 Posts
I painted my '78 Chevy G10, and '81 Chevy G20 Cargo vans to look like the A-Team Van with spray bombs. The '78 took 45 cans, and the '81 took 52 cans.

Here's the results of the '81:

And I attached the pics of the '78.

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm also a fan of Duplicolor. I have done it a couple of times. held up well and if you spray enough coats, it can be wet sanded and polished to a very nice shine.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I wound up buying a spray gun and ready mixed duplicolor laquer......the more rattle can I used the worse it looked...gonna clear it tonight.....should I do anything to the paint except maybe tack cloth it before clearing?

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rattle Can Paint Job

For my 1982 Toyota Pickup I am using Eastwoods Rust Converter for a base to neutralize the rust, then going to spray an SEM High Build primer, then will wet sand with 800 grit. Finally I will use Spray Max 2k color match single stage paint. The primer and single stage cost me just over $200 with shipping for 5 cans of each. The Eastwood rust converter was $18 per can. The great thing about all of these is they are rattle cans. It saves you about $600 without having to buy an air compressor and HLVP sprayers. I have not yet painted yet, but you can follow along here: http://www.seanmcclure.com/blog/index.php/2012/10/31/rattle-can-paint-job-for-my-sons-truck/

·
Nova Guru
502 Posts
For my 1982 Toyota Pickup I am using Eastwoods Rust Converter for a base to neutralize the rust, then going to spray an SEM High Build primer, then will wet sand with 800 grit. Finally I will use Spray Max 2k color match single stage paint. The primer and single stage cost me just over $200 with shipping for 5 cans of each. The Eastwood rust converter was $18 per can. The great thing about all of these is they are rattle cans. It saves you about $600 without having to buy an air compressor and HLVP sprayers. I have not yet painted yet, but you can follow along here: Rattle Can Paint Job for My Sons Truck
I painted my '78 Chevy G10, and '81 Chevy G20 Cargo vans to look like the A-Team Van with spray bombs. The '78 took 45 cans, and the '81 took 52 cans.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:smash: Any questions? Its a DUMB idea, it won't be a durable finish, it won't look good and you won't save any money. Go buy a cheap 20 - 30 gallon comp and a cheap non-hvlp sprayer.

Sorry to be so blunt, but this is a BAD idea.

Even the original poster in this thread broke down and bought a gun for his project after he saw spray bombs don't work!

·
Faith - Respect - Trust
3,528 Posts
We've all heard the expression "you get what you pay for" well in this case your going to get less than what you paid for...Why go to all the trouble of prepping a vehicle and rattle canning the finish that everybody see's. When people look at cars after they are painted they always comment on the really good jobs and the really bad jobs. Nobody ever says "did you see that average paint job"...You decide where in the spectrum you want to be.

·
Of course it's fast
2,670 Posts
I would NEVER use a rattle can for a paint job. But, i have seen amazing results from brush on rustoleum. If you need that cheap of a paint job you might as well get the cheapo paint job from maaco. It will still be better than a rattle can.

·
Banned
256 Posts
by the time you buy all those rattle cans ar 3 bucks+ each..
you could've bought a cheap gun and RENTED a compressor..
for less....
20(gun)+50 (a day rent compressor)=70 bucks..
2-3) quarts of dup. premixed paint at 18.00x3
and it'll last..
as you had to buy the sand paper anyways.. and primers cheap..

·
Dennis W. Parks
56 Posts
rattle can vs. real paint

OK, first off, the real not so secret secret to a good paint job is doing the prep work correctly. If you don't do that correctly, it won't matter what kind or type of paint you use.

Secondly, someone mentioned that their van required about 50 spray cans. Let's just say it is three bucks per can, cause after all, you want the good stuff. That's $150. You can buy a quart or two of Dupont Nason for less than that.

Unless you are simply trying to waste your time, I wouldn't bother with spray can for painting a car. The exception to that is for some of the very specific products that Eastwood and others sell in rattle cans.

My two cents worth,

Dennis W. Parks
author of automotive how-to books

1 - 20 of 38 Posts