Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a cheap paint job. I have an old chevy beater truck that has quite a few rust spots. I have sanded it down to the bare metal in most areas and then applied primer to the entire thing. I was wondering which route to take with spraying with a rattle can (which brand/type) to use as well as what to do about clear coating at the end. any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Clear coating a rattle can paint job? Your kidding right?:nono:

Clear coating a rattle can paint job is a waste of time and money. In fact, a rattle can paint job is a waste of money. If you are intent on it though, there are rattle can paints that are better than some. Martin Senior sells rattle can paint that is pretty decent.

Vince

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
It can be done and it has been done various times. I know a guy that lives close to me who has a 1955 Buick Special with rattle can paint, it dont look bad!:D And yes you can clearcoat it, clearcoats are availabe in rattle cans if you want to.

Mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
"You get what you pay for"

I have painted many things with rattle can paint, from my experience the more costly the paint the better quality paint you get. But that ain't always so. What color

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Clear is no big deal, If you find it in a can shoot it like you did the can with paint in it. I have to go along with Vince on this,
your really not expecting a gloss or nice job when your done?
I hope not.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've shot clear enamel down over some satin black enamel on the frame rails in my two door. I waited recomended 48 hours for the satin black to fully cure, then I layed down two coats of clear - all of it was with rattle cans. It turned out looking pretty nice. I'll take a picture of how its sitting these days and you can judge for yourself.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
dmc12mk3 said:
I've shot clear enamel down over some satin black enamel on the frame rails in my two door. I waited recomended 48 hours for the satin black to fully cure, then I layed down two coats of clear - all of it was with rattle cans. It turned out looking pretty nice. I'll take a picture of how its sitting these days and you can judge for yourself.
My wife bought a rattle can of Martha Stewart green to paint the heat ducks in the workout room downstairs. I painted all four with good gloss and no orange peel or runs, but there is a big difference painting a 1-sqft piece and a whole car.
Over the years, I guess I just like to use real paint guns.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sonny was just gonna go with a blue or green. Im not trying to look professional. just put something on it that looks better than the rust and rust holes

·
Registered
237 Posts
BarryK said:
My wife bought a rattle can of Martha Stewart green to paint the heat ducks in the workout room downstairs. I painted all four with good gloss and no orange peel or runs, but there is a big difference painting a 1-sqft piece and a whole car.
Over the years, I guess I just like to use real paint guns.
I prefer real paint guns to rattle cans myself. Given the requirements of the application the original poster had (doing it on the cheap and easy one weekend), I think he'd do alright with the rattle cans as long as he allowed the base coat he layed down to cure before he sprayed the clear.

Personally - I'd have to weigh the cost of the rattle cans against one of those $150 dollar paint job places that have you in and out in a few hours. I don't think the cost would be too much different.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Kevin45 said:
rent a compressor and buy a cheap gun, better than rattle cans and probably cost less to.

Great idea!
The first few jobs at home I did, I rented a compressor and the paint gun.
BK

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree with the other guy's, to get the best rattle can job you can get will probably cost more than buying a cheap paint gun and renting a compressor, and if you guy's were wondering I perfer real paint jobs too. I like the other option too though take it to one of those $99 paint shops and let them do it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't know in your area, and I don't recall the company that used to advertise that particular package it might have been maaco but I'm not fore sure. At any rate it was some sort of national chain business that provided it. I saw it on TV. Also I'm sure that is just to mask and spray the vehicle, probably no prep work?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Spray Can=good
Maaco=better
Rent Compressor/Gun=depends on you, can look like crap, can look awesome....

so I'd say Maaco it!

Mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts