Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our body has been blasted and coated with epoxy. Now I have lots of body work that will take me months to do. Can I use rattle cans to cover any bare metal that pops up, and to spray contrasting coats to help me find scratches, bad edges, etc. Eventually we will primer everything just before BC/CC with Dupont. I don't want to create problems with the use of incompatible paint in this midlle stage, but I can only work on it an hour here and there and using a rattle can would be very convenient.
If so, is there a specific brand, or type I should use?

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
I have that situation myself and I got a real cheapy small spray gun from Harbor freight and some small metal measuring spoons..just takes a little bit of time to mix a couple of tablespoons of primer and do a touch up when I am working on the car..i found the little gin works fine for that and saves me a bunch of worries and money not having to buy all those spray cans..

the spray cans can be used for guide coat if you wish..3m makes a dry guide coat that a lot of guys like..

Sam

·
Technician
701 Posts
A small gun with epoxy would be best, but if you really want to use spray can primer, use Sherwin-Williams 988, in a thin layer only, don't try to build with it, and don't put filler over it. I've used it on small metal spots prior to shooting SpectraPrime, which is what it's made for, and have not seen any shrinkage or adhesion problems with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.