Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
KING OF BONDO
809 Posts
I would not use either one of the paints you mentioned, but I would use the Kirker before I used the Rayflex.. There was a thread at autobody101 about a guy using them and getting cussed out by the customer service or something like that.. For an elcheapo I would go with the other choice you mentioned.. I dont think you will get cursed at by them

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I've never used raxflex, but see it on ebay all the time. Consider this, the prices on ebay are about $40 for a gallon, add in hardener which you want to use in enamel, and shipping and your probably near $80. I got a gallon of Omni single stage urethane and hardener for $90 at my jobber about 6 years ago. Maybe it has gone up in price some since then, and other colors may be more expensive. but the urethane held up really well for me. Why not go and check what your jobber has available. You may be able to get a name brand like Centari or a single stage urethane which should be more durable for not all that much more I'd check with your friendly neighborhood jobber, and it would also be nice to be able to get more supplys and questions answered if by some chance you have a problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used Rayflex (from Ebay) on a beater and it turned out okay. It was a little hard to color sand but worked for my purposes, has held up okay for 18months so far.

The guy selling it did not cuss at me. The only problem was my own lack of skills, but hey, I wanted to cover the body before rust set in, and that has been accomplished. No reason to think I couldn't have had a good finish if I had spent a little more time prepping, and I will use it again someday.

I poured the catalyzed remainder into a jam jar and it hardened up nicely with the lid sealed tight so I think the paint is okay.

What I did not appreciate were the sneers recieved at the local body shop store when I asked for budget paint.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.