Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hood is dulling from the clear. Already buffed it, looked ok, came back.

I know, I know, if clear is fading it needs to be stripped and re sealed/primed, base and cleared. However, this is my work vehicle and I'm trying to be as quick as possible for a 3000 car.
Is just re clearing a thing? I guess if i got 2-5 years out of it, it would be worth just clearing.
Thoughts?

Obviously, I would NEVR do this on a customer car, but my own? It might be worth the try

·
True Hotrodder
1,354 Posts
I have "repaired" clear in the past. In my case it was a couple of areas where the clear had popped off and was flaking. I started with 1000 grit paper and water, gently gave it a once over, then moved through 1500, 2000 and 2500. Just make sure that you include all the area that you want to put new clear on - if you miss anything, that area will most likely come loose first later on. And make sure you don't get heavily into the basecoat. I prepped it with wax and grease remover, then gave it 4 coverage coats of clear. The only issue was, it looked better than the adjacent areas but kind of knew that going into it. Again as you noted this isn't the right way to do it but just to get some more time out of it.

Reactions: jsm1847

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,329 Posts
It's simple, anything you do outside of stripping and repainting and clearing is a gamble, plain and simple, it's a gamble. It could last a month, a year, ten years, it's a gamble. If you are ok with that, I hear you, it's a LOT of work to strip it and I could see just taking the chance.

Brian

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the vote of confidence/try it 🤷🏽‍♂️ ill let you know how it goes!

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts