Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to re-clock my GM 10S1 alternator 180 degrees. I believe it is simply a matter of removing the four screws hold the case together and rotating. I did do that once but the case was not loose and did not move. Granted I did not apply a lot of pressure either. Do I need to separate the case a little bit? Or, should it rotate and I need to apply more pressure. I'm concerned about loosing the brushes or somthing letting loose then I will be back here with another question. btw, it is a new re-built that I bought and upgraded to 100 amps.

Thx in advance, r

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
I have learned by watching ... (I hope)

After removing the pulley and all spacer rings, etc ... thread in all 4 screws ... just a few threads... the rap lightly with a small hammer to seperate the case halves.

Then carefully remove the screws, and rotate the housing.

==IF== you screw up and accidentally release the brushes, I think you can hold them in place with a small finishing nail which you can remove from the outside when you get everything back in place.

Here's a pic showing a pin holding the brushes...http://www.wai-wetherill.com/products/partimage.cfm?wai_num=39-102

Dang nab it!
I couldn't get the image to paste in, so you'll have to follow the link.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Just remove the four screws and without moving the end bell rearward, Rotate the end-bell and windings to your required clock position, then re~install the screws, You should actually be able to do this with it mounted in position, with the battery not connected (in most cases.)

If you do slip the slip ring pickup brushes, you will have to pull the end-bell and insert a paper clip to hold the brushes off the rotating assembly while you install the end bell, and set the clock.

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I re-clocked the alternator. I pulled the nut, pulley, fan, and spacer. Kept the alt. on it's back and made sure the shaft did not come forward. It took less than a quarter inch of separation for a little casting clearance to rotate the front half.

Thx all who responded, r

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.