Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE: Removal & Install Camshaft

I will be installing a new camshaft in my nova with a 350 engine, if anybody had any tips on making the job at hand any easier, please feel free to let me know. Any short cuts or secret install and removal tips will be greatly appreciated. Hope to hear from some of you master mechanics out there. Thanks....Dave

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,639 Posts
Best I got, take your time, take a few breaks, get something to eat, keep a clear head.

Things always go better for me that way.

·
Sloe Lurner
193 Posts
Get the proper tool

there is a tool ,that basically is a long handle that bolts to the end of the cam shaft. it allows you to keep the cam level and gives some wiggle to the install process. Never Ever force the cam, if it doesnt want ot go in there is a reason. you dont want to damage a bearing, use lots of prelube it should come with your cam.depend on your cam make sure it doesnt need a cam button to keep that thing from walking and damaging you timing cover or dizzy gear
JMO

Mike :thumbup:

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
cam

The 2 biggest mistakes.....

Not knowing how to adjust the valves the correct way

The engine not starting..

Teach your self those 2 things before you undertake the cam swap and it will be a breeze...

Keith

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,086 Posts
Along with what Keith has said, two other things, get (or borrow) a good balancer remover, and get (or borrow) a good balancer installer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
RE:Cam Install

Hello folks, the removal and Install of the cam went off without a hitch. Just had to remove the grill besides everything else to get it out. I didnt have the tool for the cam so I bought 3, 5inch bolts and used them, worked great. Of course I did use lots of pre lube. I have just a few pics of how things are going. Thanks for all you info. I do know how to adjust the valves, so theres no problem there....Dave I will try and post more pics as I progress with this 2nd rebuild. Thanks again.

·
Registered
302 Posts
im a bit late to reply, but a tip that often gets overlooked: if running a mechanical fuel pump, remove the fuel pump and fuel pump pushrod.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RE:Cam Install and Removal

Thats ok, Ive removed just about everything, the only things that were left were the cam and the pistons and the crank. I installed the new cam but I have to pull the oil pan and clean it out. Got some old gasket in there and I dont want to go through all this to burn up my motor first thing. But its all good, you ve all been a great help with this rebuild and I appreciate everybodies response. Thanks again....Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts