1984 Monte Carlo Base Converted SS Body
305 LG4 Motor with 305 H.O. Heads
Edelbrock Performer EPS Intake Manifold
Edelbrock 1902 AVS2 Series 500cfm Carburetor (Manual Choke)
I bought this car a year ago, replaced things, and as I was replacing the distributor with the distributor removed, I overturned the engine...have had idle and acceleration problems ever since.
Car History: I was told at the time of purchase that this was an SS Monte Carlo...I was also told that the motor was a rebuilt 350 with 46,000 miles on it...I didn't know much about the SS Monte Carlo, it just looked like one to me.
Since this was to be my daily driver, I wanted to buy new parts and replace the old parts and jumped into Monte Carlo SS Facebook groups and online forums to learn how to replace everything.
First thing I learned is that this wasn't an SS Monte Carlo by looking up the VIN # and other visual things like black trim instead of chrome trim...the original V6 motor, computer, and emissions were ripped out and replaced with this "Rebuilt 350 with 46,000 miles on it".
After looking up the engine block and head casting #'s, I learned that this motor is actually an 1983-1984 305 with 305 H.O. heads...
It had an Edelbrock Victor Jr. Single Plane Intake and an Edelbrock Performance Series 650cfm electric choke carburetor...I was told both were too big for my 305 motor, and to swap them with a smaller rpm range and cfm rating. I swapped with what I have now (listed in the beginning) and things where better but my timing seemed incorrect and after spending months of playing with it, I decided to replace and inspect the timing chain set. I could never achieve 600 rpm to correctly set factory timing settings.
First thing i found was the Tach was set for a 4 cylinder engine, instead of an 8 cylinder engine, I set it for 8 cylinder. I replaced the timing chain set with a Cloys double roller and installed it correctly. While I was that far into the motor, I wanted to pull the camshaft so I knew exactly what it was I was working with, but nobody could seem to guide me so I slapped the timing chain and cover on without checking it out. I have no idea what the camshaft specs are.
Second thing I found wrong was the timing tab on the timing cover. With the prior 2 o'clock TDC position timing tab fully exposed, I used a spark plug stop tool/TDC finder to find the motors true TDC...seeing how everything else was wrong...the timing marked showed TDC was actually 12 o'clock, not 2 o'clock...so I swapped it with the correct timing tab.
The 3rd thing was the harmonic balancer was the 8" instead of the factory 6.75", so I swapped it for a 6.75".
The carburetor distributor vacuum advance was also plugged up as an emissions setup, so I plugged it up as non-emissions due to my de-smogged/non-emissions setup.
The engine seemed to run and idle a lot better.
Next was my fuel pressure...I was running an electric fuel pump but after it failed I swapped it out for a mechanical fuel pump. The new mechanical fuel pump was pushing 9psi of fuel pressure, so I installed a fuel pressure regulator and the current pressure is at 6, but can be adjusted to 4psi.