Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking for ideas on how to remove rear brake drums on a 1970 gmc 3/4 ton pickup. I've sprayed them, pounded on them, not sure what to do next. Is there a wheel or gear puller big enough to fit over this drum? I don't know if this is good or bad but the bolts on the back side of the hub (where e-brake and wheel cylinder bolt on) are welded on. Thanks for reading. John

·
Registered
721 Posts
First: did you back off on the brake adjusters, sometimes the brake shoes will hold a drum on. Second: you can use a torch to heat the axle flange area but be careful, if you have rear end grease or brake fluid present from leaks, you have a fire potential. and last: There are brake drum pullers available. Check tool rental places before buying one though as they are not cheep. Good luck I've been there myself and it's a real pain.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
What Pony said. After backing off the adjusters, apply the heat to the drum around the axle hub flange. That is the area that rusts and it does not take much for it to freeze up. A really stuborn one may take a couple of days, ie, apply the penetrating oil, let soak over night, tap around the drum between the stud holes while you and a buddy apply a little prying action between the backing plate and drum (not hard) . If this does not move it, then apply some heat being careful not to get it glowing hot and repeat above. If it still does not move, let cool and resoak with the oil and repeat the next day. You will win with patience.

Trees

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I'm working on getting a torch but I've been putting pb plaster on it like ya said. Other than that I'll just keep workin on it. Round two tomorrow. Thanks again for the help, John

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
tell you what man, I had the same problem and people laughed at me on this board... ha ha, oh well, I guess most of the people don't really know what it means to live in a state with 8 months of winter with snow measured in FEET and corrosion from TONS UPON TONS of salt dumped on our roads. ANyway, I spent a weekend trying these, pry the drum, heat the drum, turn the star adjuster BS and none of it worked. THe star adjuster was rusted SOLID (yes, that happens in states with real seasons, like winter).

Solution? A two jaw puller put together from two rented pullers at a 15 ton rating that DAMN NEAR BUCKLED under the force it took to pry the drum free of the shoes. I broke the pins and everything too. SOmetimes you just gotta go brute.

K

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey thanks guys, I got the drums broke free and to make all the trouble worth it the drums are good to use after turning. This place is great with all the knowledge people have to offer. Hope I have the chance to help sometime. Thanks again, John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.