Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in comments RE a bumper for my '31. I don't expect it to protect me if I'm rear-ended by an 18-wheeler but I'd like some protection from an out-of-control golf cart (they're thick as fleas around here).
I will tryy to post a picture of one I saw on H.A.M.B.
Buzz (MoonBat)

·
Registered
924 Posts
Well, I don't know anybody that sells them, but I am lucky enough to have a tubing bender and I make my own. I have one like your pic on my '27T roadster. Made from 1" x .065" wall polished stainless tubing. If you can find someone with a tubing bender they are really easy to build. I always built the nerf bars and bumpers for our sprint cars, so those are a piece of cake.

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,648 Posts
Speedway has a U-weld kit, still needs mounting brackets...

Russ

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I don't know anybody that sells them, but I am lucky enough to have a tubing bender and I make my own. I have one like your pic on my '27T roadster. Made from 1" x .065" wall polished stainless tubing. If you can find someone with a tubing bender they are really easy to build. I always built the nerf bars and bumpers for our sprint cars, so those are a piece of cake.
Thanks for the photo. It looks just like what I'm looking for. You might think about making them for a little spare-time cash.
Bust wishes,
Buzz (MoonBat)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
one of these may work for your ride ?
se

FastFord,
Thanks for the info. Most of the
bars seem to be for sprint cars and midgets. I once drove a sprint car after it and the driver had crashed. The owner was in traction and his crew were not drivers. Scared the p*** out of myself. I was racing Bugeye Sprites in those days. I appreciate your efforts.
Best wishes,
Buzz (MoonBat)

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I have bent 7/8 DOM on my Harbor Freight pipe bender to make hairpins. We had Nerf bars on the 31 chrysler roadster in the 50's, a buddy made them in Highschool shop> With the HF bender you have to cut the pieces long to work in the die, then trim off the excess.

·
Registered
598 Posts
did you look to see if this would work ?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
did you look to see if this would work ?

Thanks for your response. I think I'll have to search for a metal shop in my area.
Buzz (MoonBat)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your help. I'm looking at another rear bumper that I think I can be done locally
14.jpg
16.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts