Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1962 Impala and 1996 Impala. I put a 350 horse crate motor in the '62 backed by a race built TH-350. The problem is that I am/WAS running the original 40 year old peg legged rear diff in her. Well, I now live in Japan and the weak link gave up.
My question is can I swap the rear diff out of a 96 Inpy and put it under the 62 Inpy? Would I have to make any modifications? The new diff is complete with discs and the whole shootin' match.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Snow

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Chassis change

Between 1962 and 19996 Gm changed that chassis..sooo what that means is that the stock mounting brackets were changed and this is not a bolt in..

Saying that..if you are a hotrodder then measure the hub to hub of the 96 rear end and see if it is close to correct..then get out the cutters and grinders and cut the old mounts off of the 96 and build some new ones to adapt the new rear into the 1962..

Course you need to get the new rear end aligned properly so the car does not "dogwalk"

Now given that this is a lot of work..this is a good time to consider a Ford 9" and a 4 bar..

my thought on this..

OMT

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,
That sounds like a little bit more than I have the resources to do as I am stationed in Japan and the hobby shop has limited resources. I guess I will look into the 9" as I run her pretty hard.

Thanks again,

Snow

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
Question g-mac...................

How about the 2 piece driveshaft? Any problems with that.?

With the "X" frame, no matter what rear you put in it, there is always that to put up with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I first went to the 300+ horse power I had an issue with the center support bearing. I thrashed two of them. Then I found a titanium one with the polygaphite and it has a lifetime warranty. No problems since installation. I checked when I did the tranny swap and it still looks good and spins freely. I really have to repair the rear diff as it is making all kinds of clanking noises. She is parked because I haven't had time to crack it open to see excatly what's damaged. No matter what the problem is though I WANT a posi. How hard would it be to keep my original and convert it to posi. It is standard 1962 Impala equipment?

Oh yeah, Nice pontiac.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Rebuilding

I was around when those came out and the guys with 348's and 409's hammered them pretty hard and I do not recall too many problems with rear ends..course that was 40 years ago..:p

Now I believe there are posi units available for that housing should it be identified as to just what it is..Probably a 10 bolt..

have to takes some looks around the web and there is a link on this site that I saw a while back that helped to identify various rear housings..once tha tis done you shoudl be able to get the right parts and rebuild that housing to give you a good service..

My thinking is that it is just wore out after 40 years and needs some new parts..and after this much time I think I would only retain the carrier the housing and the axles..and if you find a posi carrier that would be replaced as well..

Wish I coudl be more help but maybe this can be moved forward..:D

OMT

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know I should have put the part number of the housing in the thread but I forgot. i am at work right now as it is Tuesday morning here in Japan. I can tell you that the rear end is a GM ten bolt, 8.5". Where so you think would be a reaonable place to start looking for the guts to rebuild this bad boy? I have to agree that after 40 years it's about time for an upgrade. I run her pretty hard and she has never broken down on me. even now she is driveable but I don't want to take any chances on damaging anything further.
Thanks for the help, I reall appreciate it.

Snow

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Parts links

Snow,

Sent you a PM with some parts links..Check on that diff to see if it is an 8.2 or 8.5..according to my parts books it is an 8.2

OMT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.