Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 64' Stude Commander, 3-speed on the tree, and whenever I try to go in reverse the car hesitates, and then will start going. Typically I will hear a loud popping sound either when I start to move in reverse, or shortly after I enter first gear. It is difficult to determine if the sound is coming from the rear end or the transmission.

Given that the rear still has self adjusting drum brakes, I am with the understanding that they only self adjust when the car moves in reverse. Is it possible that the brakes could be over adjusting?

If anyone has any ideas or has experienced the same problem, please let me know.

Thanks

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,438 Posts
The brakes only self adjust when you apply them going backward.
It's possible an axle seal is leaking and allowing the shoes to get gear lube on them, which will cause sticking and a clunk/pop when changing directions. I don't know that it would be all that "loud". The other possibility is too much wear in the ring and pinion, but you should be hearing a growling/ringing noise on the road if it is bad enough to cause a pop when changing directions.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would put money on it that you have bad differential side gears causing lots of play in the differential itself. On my Mercury I had elliptical bores in the actual diff case (the iron egg the ring gear is bolted to) where the axle splines meet the side gears.

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,129 Posts
My 2 cents are for looking at the U Joints on the driveshaft. I have had bad dry U joints pop snap and make weird noises when changing direction. Look at the joint cap junction for rust,missing seal, or looseness. if it has a grease zerk give a shot or two of fresh grease and see what happens. If no grease fitting I would just replace them as a standard precaution. Get replacement joints with a grease "Zerk" fitting. That is the simplest thing to eliminate and not expensive at all if you do it yourself. Nice Saturday project. :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts