Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I will be replacing my Ring and pinion for a 3:73 ratio in the not
too distance future but after looking at the new corvette it shows that its final drive ratio is 3.42

I am wondering why this is. Have chevy worked out all the numbers for the
car. I would think that 3:73 would work better in the corvette with its 6spd
transmission than the 3:42.

Anyone know the scoop on the 3:42 choice.

Thanks X711

·
Newskool
246 Posts
Slightly higher top speed. Slightly better fuel economy when cruising at higher speeds even with an overdrive.

That would be my best guess. Even with high performance vehicles fuel economy is always a major selling factor.

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
They might have compensated with a bigger (3.20 instead 2.90) 1st gear for the higher top speed as mentioned before. I dont know the gear ratios for that trans so I could not tell you for a fact but it makes sense. And possibly for gas mileage, but anyone that buys a corvette for gas mileage......they shouldnt have a corvette.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
The 3.42 gears in a 6 speed Vette are too long IMO. I would do a set of 4.10's if it were mine. but 3.73's are doable, although not much of a difference IMO.

i would do 3.90's or 4.10's if you are using the low pro Vette tires.

the normal LS1 Vettes have a 0.50:1 6th gear and a 0.75:1 OD 5th gear and a 1:1 4th gear.

the ZO6 got the differentratio 6 speed trans.

peace
hog

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,659 Posts
Many factory combos are geared too high for most enthusiasts like us, but 99% of drivers have no clue.

I used to have a C4 with the .50 overdrive and 3.42s. It was a little tall, but the car was only 3100 lbs. First gear would have just been way too squirrely with 3.73s for Mr and Mrs. John Q. Driver

Darn bean counters.

·
Glad the Jeep is on the road
809 Posts
Typical engineering practice was to choose the final drive ratio based on comfortable and quiet cruising characteristics for Uncle Norm and Aunt Gertie, with the low end of the power band about 50 so it would still be pretty quiet around 70 -- then work from there. This also leads to good advertised highway fuel economy.

·
valve body kits
41 Posts
curtis73 said:
Many factory combos are geared too high for most enthusiasts like us, but 99% of drivers have no clue.

I used to have a C4 with the .50 overdrive and 3.42s. It was a little tall, but the car was only 3100 lbs. First gear would have just been way too squirrely with 3.73s for Mr and Mrs. John Q. Driver

Darn bean counters.

not to mention the fact that the lower the gear ratio the faster one has to shift. the factory combo is driven by 2 primary considerations..
1. MPG
2. drivability ease and comfort.

·
Registered
110 Posts
in short the answer is, The 3.42 meets all the performace goals set by GM. 0-60, top speed, MPG and Range goals were all obtainted with the 3.42 in the six speed car. I think GM did a great job with the Vette, great performance and no Gas Guzzler tax.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts