Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Merry Xmas to all! I am looking for a rear end for my 50 ford. I am running a sbc and 350th trans . I want to run stock type steel wheels but will change them to keep things simple if necessary. Seems to me a GM unit would probably match my power train more easily. Any ideas? Thanks for reading this.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
A Ford 8inch from a Mustang or Maverick or Comet will work just fine. There are many gear sets available. a cross-over u-joint for this combo is available from any parts store.
A GM 10-bolt from a Camaro or Firebird or Nova is a good choice from the GM line but you'll have to redrill your axles to the Ford pattern.

·
Administrator
18,397 Posts
The stock wheel pattern for your Ford is 5x5 1/2, I believe....so, whatever rear you use, you are going to have to redrill.........unless, you are changing the front too.

In my 51, I used a Nova rear and then put in a 57 Chevy rear....they are both about the same width. I also used a Nova clip, so it's a Chevy bolt pattern all round.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
poncho62 said:
The stock wheel pattern for your Ford is 5x5 1/2, I believe....so, whatever rear you use, you are going to have to redrill.........unless, you are changing the front too..
It depends ... on whether or not we are talking car or truck ...

Car pattern is 5 on 4.5
Truck pattern is 5 on 5.5

A late 50's F-100 rear end ( a Ford 9 inch ) is almost a direct bolt in for a 50 Ford pickup. Then most any 9 inch center section can be installed to get the gear ratio you want very easily.

The Maverick rear is a good choice for the 50 car. I have used a 57 to 59 Ford car rear end under a 50 Ford. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

pasadenahotrod said:
A Ford 8inch from a Mustang or Maverick or Comet will work just fine. There are many gear sets available. a cross-over u-joint for this combo is available from any parts store.
A GM 10-bolt from a Camaro or Firebird or Nova is a good choice from the GM line but you'll have to redrill your axles to the Ford pattern.
Sounds like the 8" is the way to go. I already have good steelies and want to keep things simple. Thanks again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Deuce said:
It depends ... on whether or not we are talking car or truck ...

Car pattern is 5 on 4.5
Truck pattern is 5 on 5.5

A late 50's F-100 rear end ( a Ford 9 inch ) is almost a direct bolt in for a 50 Ford pickup. Then most any 9 inch center section can be installed to get the gear ratio you want very easily.

The Maverick rear is a good choice for the 50 car. I have used a 57 to 59 Ford car rear end under a 50 Ford. :D
My Ford is a 2 door sedan. 5 x 4.5 bc. I have decided on the maverick 8". Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks

poncho62 said:
The stock wheel pattern for your Ford is 5x5 1/2, I believe....so, whatever rear you use, you are going to have to redrill.........unless, you are changing the front too.

In my 51, I used a Nova rear and then put in a 57 Chevy rear....they are both about the same width. I also used a Nova clip, so it's a Chevy bolt pattern all round.
I should have mentioned my Ford is a 2 door sedan (thunder road style). It has 5 on 4 1/2 bc so looks like it will be a Maverick 8". Thanks for your reply.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts