Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am wondering if anyone has swapped a 8.5" 12 bolt rear end into a third gen camaro. the rear end is from a 1974 camaro. also any ideas for torque arm in swap. any info. would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am wanting to swap for a stronger rear end also it,s a 4.10 posi. the rear end will be recieving 540 horse. so iam afraid the 7.5 will eventually give out.

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
The 8.5 is a 10-bolt axle, the 12 bolt has a ring gear size of 8.875 (or 8-7/8) inches.

Everything on your current axle would have to be VERY CAREFULLY welded on to the older leaf sprung axle you are inquiring about.

Quite a bit of work, it CAN be done, BUT you could very well end up warping the housing without the proper precautions to alleviate warping.

·
Registered
379 Posts
If your going to have that much HP? you might want to look at a curie 9inch they make direct bolt ins and you will be able to keep your dics brakes? a bit pricey but nice setup! I have one in my GTA!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you for the info. i am on a tight budget, and i already have this rear end. also what precautions should i take to weld up brackets on the rear end any info helpful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts