Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new here. Quick question. I have 79 Trans with 2.41 gears. Im trying to upgrade to the 3.73 gears. If i buy just the gears will they fit ? DO I need a different carrier ? What else ? It currently has the 700r tranny with 8in ring gear size and 4 wheel disk brakes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys new here. Quick question. I have 79 Trans with 2.41 gears. Im trying to upgrade to the 3.73 gears. If i buy just the gears will they fit ? DO I need a different carrier ? What else ? It currently has the 700r tranny with 8in ring gear size and 4 wheel disk brakes.
If you've got the 7.5" rear you can get a 3.73 Thick gear which will work with your current case.
Yukon Gear part number

YG GM7.5-3.73T
High performance Yukon Ring & Pinion "thick" gear set for GM 7.5" in a 3.73 ratio
Thanks,
Bobby

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,719 Posts
Your '79 Trans Am has the corporate 8.5 10 bolt rear end. This is a very good rear end, but you have a 2 series differential. You will need a 3 series differential for what you want to do. You can use a ring gear spacer, but I highly recommend that you don't. Do it right the first time if there is any way that you can. Ring gear spacers should only be used if there is no other way to do it.

The Yukon Dura Grip is a good limited slip (posi) differential at a lower price than the Eaton Posi. I also recommend the Yukon installation kit with Timken bearings. If you can afford the Eaton Posi then I recommend Tom's Differentials for the posi, US Gear ring & pinion sets and installation kit. Tom has very good prices on high quality parts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts