Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '68 RS/SS Camaro with a fold down rear seat. I have been looking for new hinge brackets for the seat and can't find any. Anyone know where I might be able to find some? I've checked a catalog I've got from Classic Industries and they didn't list any. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because it folds down. The brackets are there and they still work. Their sloppy and one has a 5/16" cap screw for the pin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Im sure you already checked but if such a part exists you might be able to find it on e-bay. Ive found many of very rare parts there that nobody else had,even repop catalogs. Goodluck

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I'm with Phil, why would the rear seat fold down? I've never seen this on any first generation camaro, I don't think I've ever seen a fold down rear seat in any camaro :confused:

You sure its not just a contraption the previous owner did? If so can you give me some information on the car, quite interesting.

HK

·
Returning American Maddman
444 Posts
I asked around and came up with the same quandry? Are you sure this is a factory deal or a previous owners way of hiding stuff?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a factory fold down rear seat. It was a factory option. I've seen them before. A buddy of mine had one in a '67 he had. Ya'll are starting to make me doubt myself! I can't beleive no one has heard of it before. Check your Camaro history and convince me I'm right!

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Chewy,
Check with Year One or look thru the mags for Camaro restoration places, or do a search on the net. Try this search engine <a href="http://www.ixquick.com" target="_blank">www.ixquick.com</a> I've seen the rear fold downs in the Camaro but you don't see then too often. One of these places should carry the hinges you need. If you cannot find them look in the yellow pages for a metal fabricator and someone that knows how to run a mill and lathe should be able to fix you up fairly reasonable. Don't doubt yourself. They did make the folding seat. If I remember correctly I think at one time the advertisements showed the seat with someone putting skis in there.

Kevin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not doubting myself! I think everybody else is! I also have a buddy that had one in a Camaro he owned. I didn't realize they were as rare as they appear to be.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not sure where to get the brackets, I don't think they are being reproduced yet, low demand. I'm not sure about Camaros but Firebirds only offered this in 1967. Check out the firebird parts suppliers. You may have to rebuild them yourself.

·
Registered
56 chev on 79 chassis, 62 LeSabre
3,134 Posts
year one has a camaro book and i think original parts group does too, their digits are 1-800-243-8355.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here is the website for the part you want.

<a href="http://www.negia.net/~firstgen/1-47.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.negia.net/~firstgen/1-47.pdf</a>

Page 20 has the fold down seat mounting brackets and latches. Company is called Ricks First Generation Camaro's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The folding rear seat was a factory option. GM made it an option in order to increase storage space due to the small trunk. The problem was that you could not reach through to the trunk from the back seat and vice versa.
I didnt know about the link posted above to obtain the brackets and rebuild parts for the linkage........thanks for posting that.
:thumbup: Ray

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, 67-9 Camaros and at least a 69 Firebird could be bought with a fold down rear seat. I have one in my 69 Camaro. Did he ever find what he needed? I've seen the brackets that are welded to the floor and the latches that hold the seat back in place when it isn't folded down. I haven't seen the hinges actually available. He might want to check with Rick's First Generation. I think they have used parts available that may not be in the catalog.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts