Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, coming back to the well for some more information as I map out my winter project.

I need to replace the rear shocks on my 41 Chevy Business Coupe, the problem is I can't seem to find any direct replacements that I am confident in. Does any one have a brand the prefer that is direct fit? thanks!

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,821 Posts
IF you can't find anything identifying them as a brand of valving you will likely end up needing to remove them, note the compressed and extended lengths, note the spring rate and post here, OR call QA1, Pensky, AFCO, whatever brand you like and get a recommendation.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IF you can't find anything identifying them as a brand of valving you will likely end up needing to remove them, note the compressed and extended lengths, note the spring rate and post here, OR call QA1, Pensky, AFCO, whatever brand you like and get a recommendation.
Thank you for this, that's exactly what I will do!

·
Registered
762 Posts
You need compressed and extended lengths, but also ride height, measured in the car at its normal weight. Take note of the mounting at both end of your shocks. keep in mind that the ideal ride height is not midway between compressed and extended heights: at ride height, the shock should have about 2/3 of its travel in compression (above, for when you hit a bump), and 1/3 in extension.
Then you go to the Monroe online catalog (maybe other brands have that too), which lists every shocks they sell, not by vehicle but by size. It may take you a couple of hours to go through everything, write down a few shocks with dimensions pretty close to what you need, then go online to find where they fit originally, to find a vehicle weighing as close as possible to your car (shocks from a small Suzuki or from a 3500 truck will not work well under your car, even if they are the right size).
Now that you know what to look for, you can choose your brand, maybe even performance level, air shocks, gas shocks, whatever you wish.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need compressed and extended lengths, but also ride height, measured in the car at its normal weight. Take note of the mounting at both end of your shocks. keep in mind that the ideal ride height is not midway between compressed and extended heights: at ride height, the shock should have about 2/3 of its travel in compression (above, for when you hit a bump), and 1/3 in extension.
Then you go to the Monroe online catalog (maybe other brands have that too), which lists every shocks they sell, not by vehicle but by size. It may take you a couple of hours to go through everything, write down a few shocks with dimensions pretty close to what you need, then go online to find where they fit originally, to find a vehicle weighing as close as possible to your car (shocks from a small Suzuki or from a 3500 truck will not work well under your car, even if they are the right size).
Now that you know what to look for, you can choose your brand, maybe even performance level, air shocks, gas shocks, whatever you wish.
Thank you for this! This broke it down beautifully for me!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, fixed.

I found a set of Monroe's at my local O'Reilly's that were at the correct compressed and non heights. They work perfect and were a direct fit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts