Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any ideas on adding a rear heavy duty sway bar to my 49 street rod? Or panhard bar? I am using a 77 maverick 8" axle housing & stock leaf springs. I have a front sway bar but still too much body roll.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Other than they need to be "balanced" that is the proper sizes to work right.. if getting the sway bars from a wrecking yard I would look for car that has them on both ends..the front is generally stiffer than the rear bar as this helps to contorl the oversteer/understeer character of the car..

to get around this we make the rears adjustable in stiffness by varying the "arm length" of the rear sway bar..

Good idea to do it..the results depend on execution..

Sam

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rear sway bar

rear leaf springs are stock re-arced 2" wide ,don't know spring rate, & am using monroe air shocks .Currently not using the Jamco kit.Exhaust pipes not used as I have corvette side pipes

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Did you have to move the spring pads or is the spring spacing on the 49 the same as all other leaf spring Ford cars (except the 62-65 Fairlane, of course)???

Also how does the wheel flange to wheel flange width compare?

I have never done a 49-51.

thanks

·
Registered
261 Posts
buckhorn
I used a jeep sway bar kit, it is one inch and came with different lengths for the attachment bolts, it was a complete kit from JC Whitney, just had to weld on the mount pads to the frame, and u-bolt attchment to the rearend. simple,cheap, easy and quick.

30dee :thumbup:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have used a rear sway bar off a 89 Camaro on a 37 Chevy and I am currently running a front sway bar off a Mustang II in the rear of my 38. With both sway bars I had to pull the ends in to get them inside the frame rails, more so with the Mustang II. I gotta believe these could work in your frame as well. I used aftermarket links/bushings from AutoZone for the end mounts.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
buckhorn said:
By the way, I have a Fat man rack & pinion power steering kit installed also.Greatly improved the handling. Also used there front disc brake kit.

cool :cool: thanks :thumbup:

So the Maverick rear end is 1/2 inch wider than the original??

So the original is 57". I keep hearing that Mavericks are 56 wide but I have only measured 2 and they were 57 1/2 same as Granada/ Mustang.

Thanks, x

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Buckhorn, you may want to talk to Chassis Engineering. They make several different rear sway bar kits for specific vehicles and an all purpose kit. They should be able to advise you and in the past, they have told me "No, ours will not work for you".

Trees

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
sodas38 said:
I have used a rear sway bar off a 89 Camaro on a 37 Chevy and I am currently running a front sway bar off a Mustang II in the rear of my 38. With both sway bars I had to pull the ends in to get them inside the frame rails, more so with the Mustang II. I gotta believe these could work in your frame as well. I used aftermarket links/bushings from AutoZone for the end mounts.

So i gather that you heated the ends to pull them in??I'm trying to find a way to alter a bar, this is why i asked? if you can do that, that is step in the right direction for any who have this problem. thanks for the quick thoughts bob s

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.