Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having big problems with getting my rear tailgate window to go up and down on a 1987 Chevy suburban 5.7 1/2 ton vehicle. Here are the things I already attempted to get the window to work.
1)cleaned all switches
2)installed a brand new electric motor
3)motor is definitly receiving power
4)installed motor and got the window to go down but it won't go back up
5)what gives is something out of line???????????
6)the felt on the window runners are wore but that should'nt stop the window from going up and down.
7)ran out of sunshine so will have to try again tomorrow got any suggestions?
my most current e-mail address is [email protected] if I can figure out how to post this e-mail I will

·
bluebird
15 Posts
rear window up and down

you may have all the current you need but no ground. You should be able to take a jump box and run the window up and down. Most window motors only have two wires. you just reverse the wires to go in the opposite direction. The motor housing may still need to be ground also. Also make sure the regulator operates freely.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I really don't know about Chevies in particular, but are there relays - one for up and one for down? Checking the grounds as mentioned is a good place to start, of course. If you reverse the wiring at some handy-to-reach point it will tell you if the problem is in the door or in the switching.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tailgate rear window

Appreciate your response I will make an attempt to ground the switch and motor, but it seems to me if the motor is bolted to tailgate it should get sufficient ground. The switch on the dash had a 3 prong connector but I did notice a screw attached to the switch housing which could possible be a ground connection. On my first attempt on mounting the electric motor I got nothing when I attempted to activate the motor. So pulled the motor out. When I had the motor out I activated the switch and the motor spun well. This is where your theory on a ground makes no sense. Why did the motor work, it wasn't even grounded to the frame. When the window is in the down position excess to the motor or regulator can't be made. Any suggestions on how I can get this window up?

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,460 Posts
The thing that usually comes up with these types of windows is that there are micro switches and crap that limit the window from going up or down when the door is open for instance. Side doors on vans don't let you put the window down when the door is open, the door won't go open if the gas door is open, you understand.

So there may be a limit switch that you are forgetting where the door has to be closed or something like that for the thing to work.

Brian

·
Old(s) Fart
6,016 Posts
If the window goes down but not up, the problem is almost certainly a bad connection someplace. Since gravity helps going down, some resistance can be accommodated. Going up the motor needs to lift the weight of the glass, requiring much more current. Any resistance in any of the connectors will cause a problem. I have the same problem with my 84 Olds wagon and simply unplugging and cleaning one of the connectors solves the problem. Of course, since the window sweep weatherstrip is bad, water leaks down into the tailgate, causing the problem to come back periodically.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
tailgate rear window

Solution solved my whole trouble ended up being a faulty electric motor. Have returned it to Action Auto and got a refund and have reordered a new unit. I had to detach my window to get to the motor. My window is presently held up with a couple of boards. So back to the drawing board I hope my next attempt will be successful. I won't mention the fact that the regulator spring came loose and pretty near cut a mans hand clean into, lucky for him he pulled his hand out of the way. Let me add one more thing I really thank all ya'all who responded to my problem.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It doesnt make sense that the motor would work one direction and not the other and be the fault of the motor.

Most likely there is a switch either in the door jamb or the latch that lets current flow when the door is closed. This switch would however let the window go down but not up. I have run into this many times on Old Jeep Wagoneers,,,,, its a saftey switch.

Watch those springs they are deadly !!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.