Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
ibarodder said:
Whats a good width for the rear end in a 1932 Ford Roadster or 3 window ? thanks
:welcome: WELCOME to Hotrodders.com :welcome:

As a long time 32 Ford owner ... I would say most 1932 Ford owners want a rear end that is 56 to 58 inches wide ... measured this way ...

If you want a 8 inch series Ford rear end ... the V8 Maverick is 56 inches and works great. I myself prefer the added strength of a 9 inch series Ford ... and a 57 to 59 Ford rear end is almost 58 inches wide. I have a late 60's Ford Bronco under my 32 Roadster ... it is almost 58 inches.

I have a 57 Ford rear end under my 32 3W ... it will be a full fendered car also ...

Again ... WELCOME ...

Deuce Moderator ...

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Hey Deuce.

I always heard that the V8 Maverick 8" is 56 inch and the 70's Granada 57 1/2. I have only measured 2 Mavericks 8" in the yards and they were both 57 1/2...... (maybe they had been changed?)...... same width as in my 63 Fairlane. Wish I could find a 56 inch. I could use the tire clearance. (I know the spring perches are unique center to center distance on the 62-65 Fairlanes.)

Should I search out another Maverick?

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
I have friends who have the Maverick rear end under Model A's ... and they do measure 56 inches. These were out of the car ... measured with a tape measure ... the way I show in the photo above.

Now we all know that when dealing with used cars that are over 30 years old ... anything can be found. I know a guy who swears his V8 Maverick came with a 9 inch Ford ... :nono: :smash: but I believe it is really a 57 Ford unit ... with a WAR center section ...

Deuce ...

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Deuce said:
:welcome: WELCOME to Hotrodders.com :welcome:

As a long time 32 Ford owner ... I would say most 1932 Ford owners want a rear end that is 56 to 58 inches wide ... measured this way ...

If you want a 8 inch series Ford rear end ... the V8 Maverick is 56 inches and works great. I myself prefer the added strength of a 9 inch series Ford ... and a 57 to 59 Ford rear end is almost 58 inches wide. I have a late 60's Ford Bronco under my 32 Roadster ... it is almost 58 inches.

I have a 57 Ford rear end under my 32 3W ... it will be a full fendered car also ...

Again ... WELCOME ...

Deuce Moderator ...
Did you use the 57 rear end as is ? Will the pumpkin be offset to the left? Or does it matter?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Rear Width

Picked up a 9 inch out of a Ford Granada, its around 52.250 flange to flange. It has the small bearing flanges (2.83 O.D.) will all the small bearing backing plates interchange , 9 inch and 8 inch , do they all have the same axle offset ?

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
ibarodder said:
Picked up a 9 inch out of a Ford Granada its around 52.250 flange to flange. It has the small bearing flanges, will all the small bearing backing plates interchange ? do they all have the same axel offset ?

housing flange doesn't count..... only wheel flange to wheel flange

The 9 inch in the Granada has disc brakes only.....

and the big bearings I am pretty sure.

Are you sure it isn't an 8 ? They are about 57 1/2 wheel to wheel.

Here's the easiest way to tell an 8 from a 9.
If you can get a socket on the two lower housing bolts, it is an 8.
A 9 requires an open end or box end wrench since the pinion housing is so large.

By the way. A light duty 9 and the 8 have the same axles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.