Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on rebuilding a 454 big block. I've been all over ebay looking for a bare block. The cheapest block are Mercruiser 454. Reading a few post on the web about converting marine to street can happen if certain parts are changed. You can't believe everything you read on the internet. I was hoping I could trust someone who enjoys a lot of power in their hot rods to help me out. If I have a bare 454 Mercruiser block I'm ok to rebuild it and put it in a car?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
rebuilding 454

Thanks Hcompton. I have limited knowledge on marine engines. Didn't know one ran reverse. Learn something today thanks! I will probably end up spending the extra money.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
when building an engine a bare block will be the most expensive way.If you have nothing,start with a 540 as its the best bang for the buck unless you have a 454 you want to build?
How much power and budget is where you start. application?

·
Registered
939 Posts
CraigsList.org; America's Speedshop, as long as you can deal with the "Craigs List Freaks". All kinds of BBC parts and complete engines locally (Seattle area). The only really bad thing are the nuts who think a rusted up, POS, block "can just be hot tanked". Why do they keep them outside in the elements to start with? junior stocker.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when building an engine a bare block will be the most expensive way.If you have nothing,start with a 540 as its the best bang for the buck unless you have a 454 you want to build?
How much power and budget is where you start. application?
I wish I had 10k just laying around to buy a 540 crate motor. I'd have to disagree on the bare block being the most expensive way. I'm going to be on a budget and getting a bare block around 500-600 bucks I can manage the budget better with what to add to the engine, as far as parts go.

I live in a small town in Indiana....getting a block from Seattle could cost some freight lol. I've been looking on ebay and craigslist. Seems as if Ebay will be a good way to go for buying a bare block.

Thanks to all who've replied!

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Go to a junkyard and get an engine out of a pickup truck........
Best advice on this thread!

I usually look for an old rusted out/body damage 1/2-3/4 ton mid seventies/early eighties pickup or Suburban. Buy the entire vehicle for much less than a yard wants for an engine. Lots of good cores..

In general.. I'm talking raw cores here.. A marine engine is just a truck engine with different gaskets.. Reverse rotation makes no difference, if all you plan on using are the major cores..
Camshaft and its drive are the big differences. Blocks/heads are the same as truck. I have used many BBC marine cores and I don't build marine engines in general. I have two Yamaha marine blocks (re-badged/painted blue 454 GM) in stock right now.. Mark V short deck.. A tall deck marine Mark V and also a couple of tall deck Mark IV's from local marine scrappers.

I have never seen a pickup truck with a factory installed tall deck. Tall decks are used in Medium Duty and up. Lots of old cab/chassis, dump trucks and school bus. :thumbup:

I bought an auction lot of BBC engines in the Chicago Ill, area that had been stored outside under tarps for many years.. The belhousing area was rusted BAD from setting on end. Had to have a tool and die shop re-machine the surface and use old Lakewood scattershield/block plates on them to restore the proper dimension.

Another thought from my old Geezer brain... Beware of 8.1 marine engines. They look like BBC to the untrained eye.. Almost, no part will fit a normal BBC.

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
I have a 454 block that has been abandon and has been setting for about 10 years now, Its been cleaned, magged, cam tunnel was blue print bored .010 over because of an undersized journal, line honed with a ARP stud kit, also sonic tested and will go .060 as this was going to be a 496 build.

If interested give me a call ***********

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
quote:I'd have to disagree on the bare block being the most expensive way. I'm going to be on a budget and getting a bare block around 500-600 bucks I can manage the budget better with what to add to the engine, as far as parts go.

you are wrong.

buy a complete engine or truck

bare block will need all the fasteners,pan,crank,balancer,timing cover etd,,,it will nickle and dime you to the point you could have just bought a good fitted/short block and scabbed together a top end

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
I have a 454 block that has been abandon and has been setting for about 10 years now, Its been cleaned, magged, cam tunnel was blue print bored .010 over because of an undersized journal, line honed with a ARP stud kit, also sonic tested and will go .060 as this was going to be a 496 build.

If interested give me a call ***********

She is gone !!!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I plan on rebuilding a 454 big block. I've been all over ebay looking for a bare block. The cheapest block are Mercruiser 454. Reading a few post on the web about converting marine to street can happen if certain parts are changed. You can't believe everything you read on the internet. I was hoping I could trust someone who enjoys a lot of power in their hot rods to help me out. If I have a bare 454 Mercruiser block I'm ok to rebuild it and put it in a car?
Warning about using GM marine BIG BLOCK CHEVY

please measure the Main bearing bores in the block... some marine engines were assembled by GM using OVERSIZE OD bearings. i am talking about the OUTSIDE of the main bearings.. not the side that the crank runs on..

there might be main bearings still available thru GM marine engine parts dealers.. there are NONE available thru normal engine rebuilding sources.. i tried... King bearings made them for GM is seems.. but there are NONE left from KING or any other supplier i can find..

just thought i would warn you to spend a few minutes before you commit to machine work..

if you are pulling it apart.. save the main bearing shells to ID them by part number and brand stamped into the outside..

·
Banned
1,680 Posts

please measure the Main bearing bores in the block... some marine engines were assembled by GM using OVERSIZE OD bearings. i am talking about the OUTSIDE of the main bearings.. not the side that the crank runs on..

there might be main bearings still available thru GM marine engine parts dealers.. there are NONE available thru normal engine rebuilding sources.. i tried... King bearings made them for GM is seems.. but there are NONE left from KING or any other supplier i can find..

just thought i would warn you to spend a few minutes before you commit to machine work..

if you are pulling it apart.. save the main bearing shells to ID them by part number and brand stamped into the outside..
One other thing about Marine engines the water jackets are full of rust more so if used in salt water. If they used a heat ex-changer its not so bad.

·
Registered
81 Posts
They are on craigslist all the time for about $400ish. Because a stock 454 is 230hp/385tq. Here's a picture of where mine came from. chevy 3500 refregerated box truck

·
Registered
9,050 Posts

'

Not only a problem with BBC engines.. GM and others are doing the same. VW, BMW, some other small deisels do it and you have to replace the block.

A certain rebuilder in Indiana is famous for the practice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts