Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody here rebuild there own starters?

If you do, with respect to parts, where's a good place to get them?

Backstory...

The starter motor on my '69 Camaro SS (350) is seeking attention. Pretty sure it's the bendix. I took the starter off and took it to NAPA, it checked out just fine.

What it does: Sometimes when you turn the key it makes a noise like the starter spins but doesn't engage the flywheel.

I bought a replacement starter from NAPA, bolted it up and.... ugh... it needs shimming.

So I got to thinking, rather than mess with the shimming process... on a manual trans bellhousing with no access to properly shim the starter, why not just rebuild the starter.

·
True Hotrodder
1,572 Posts
Probably doesn't need to be rebuilt. If you remove that bendix and take it apart, there is a contact button that can be reversed. Usually the used side of the button can no longer make a good contact but reversing it will provide a brand new contact surface.

Reactions: lakeroadster

·
Old(s) Fart
5,746 Posts
Probably doesn't need to be rebuilt. If you remove that bendix and take it apart, there is a contact button that can be reversed. Usually the used side of the button can no longer make a good contact but reversing it will provide a brand new contact surface.
Yeah, we've all done that in a pinch, but the reality is that flipping the contact disc still doesn't fix the pitted contact buttons that the disc makes contact with. You used to be able to get a repair kit that included the disc, the contacts, and the plastic end cap, but today it's probably cheaper to just get a quality solenoid from Standard. Besides, I'm getting too old to heft that 800 lb Delco starter in and out frequently. ;)

·
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll tear into it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Assuming the stater is an original big heavy Delco unit as said all the parts necessary for complete rebuild are available. But when done it is still a big amp sucker in use. You might want to consider the new gear motor starter as a replacement for normal use. They use half the power to turn the engine over and save on battery drain. I have rebuilt the originals and put them in stowage to keep with the original car. But in actual use the gear motor starters are far better option if you drive the car. Easy change to put back the big old starter if you ever want the 100% originality. I’ve also done the same with heavier battery cables, ignition & distributor, higher output internal regulator alternator..... originals rebuilt and stowed on the shelf and run the more modern stuff everyday.

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,411 Posts
i learned to rebuild starters, alternators and generators a looong time ago
later the rebuilts came out that were good and cheap, so i quit rebuilding stuff
later yet, the rebuilts were so cheap that they wouldn't last a week, sure my flaps would swap it out with another bad rebuilt, but after a couple i'd give up and rebuild it myself. all the parts stores rebuilders test cores and fix what's broken. if the solenoid is shot, they replace that part only, spray bomb and send it out again with old brushes, bushings and everything else.
rebuild it yourself, save money and know what you have. i'd definitely check/change bushings too

i run a 100 amp 1 wire alternator on my 58 truk. no one keeps the delco 100 amp 10si in stock any more. i keep a rebuild kit in the truk for it, with the heavy duty diode pack. it's just cheap insurance.

that said, like 57nomad mentioned, i run the mini starter. but buy it new :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
362 Posts
You can find new stuff (starters, alternators, and generators) at DB Electrical prices are reasonable and quality stuff. I have no connection with them other than previous purchases. Plenty of YouTube’s to show how to wire newer design alternators w/internal regulators. Gear motor starters how to you tubes showing how to get proper gear mesh if you decide to not go with the GM self positioning type gear reduction starters are available also. I’m fairly sure sites as this can help one too. Yes, as pointed out gear reduction starters are cheap enough to so one should avoid purchased rebuilds. I had a elder friend that always preached “to buy brand new in the box”.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts