Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just rebuilt a 4L60E for a 1999 Astro van, AWD. While rebuilding it, the 2-4 servo cover was so badly corroded, I couldn't get it to move at all. I whacked on it with a block of wood and a sledge hammer, tried compressing it with a long bar clamp, spraying it with cold spray, used a pipe wrench, you name it. It was almost impossible to get the retaining snap ring out and it eventually came out in 2 or 3 pieces. Be that as it may, I figured it was OK to leave it as-is, as the failure was, I think 2nd gear clutch pack (the one that fails most of the time), so I rebuilt it without opening the 2-4 servo cover.
I took it for a test drive and it has no 2nd or 4th. It runs away in 2nd and doesn't up-shift to 4th. On the highway, it seemed like it never shifted to 4th although from the ATSG manual, it says solenoid "A" should be OFF and solenoid "B" OFF and the band not applied for 3rd, while solenoid "A" should be ON and solenoid "B" OFF and the band applied for 4th. I guess I would expect it to "run away" in 4th, not stay stuck in 3rd. I see that for no up-shift to 2nd, the 2-4 band anchor pin is probably not engaged. After reading some of the posts on this forum, it appears I may be able to put the pin back in without removing the transmission but I probably have to remove the 2-4 servo.
Can anyone tell me what they think the problem is? Can anyone tell me how I can tell if the pin is not engaged and the procedure to get it back in? And, if the servo cover must come off, do you have any suggestions to loosen the cover? Thanks.

·
Administrator
9,980 Posts
the problem is you have the servo for the band all jacked up from wacking on it from the corrosion.

The band is for 2nd gear and 4th gear. the 2 gears you are missing.

That servo is also the accumulator for the 3rd gear.

I'd suggest finding another core trans that matches your vehicle year, with less corrosion if possible... Replace parts in that one. Maybe it will work

1 - 2 of 2 Posts