Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just rebuilt a 350. We set the valves, 1/2 turn. We spun an old distributer shaft with a drill to lube up the engine. Oil flows only to the left Head pushrods, and it flows really good. Why is there no oil coming out of the right side head? Could have the machine shop installed the plugs in wrong and its bypassing? Not enough oil pressure build up?

·
Registered
67 Posts
oil

There is another post on this same problem. Sounds like you may have an oil galley plug either missing or leaking real bad. If it is the front one you won't know unless you pull the timing cover and prime the engine with the cover off. It was the back one you would have an oil spill in the back. There may also be a restriction in the oil galley itself. Hope this helps

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I took the drive gear off of the shaft.

I took the timing cover off and looked at the three plugs, they arn't leaking. SO it must be a rear one , I'm just going to have to take it back to the machine shop, and the can fix there problem

·
Registered
15,298 Posts
62chevystepside said:
Yes I took the drive gear off of the shaft.

I took the timing cover off and looked at the three plugs, they arn't leaking. SO it must be a rear one , I'm just going to have to take it back to the machine shop, and the can fix there problem
If the rear plug was leaking, you'd know it as this would drain into the bell-housing and would pour out the bottom.

It is not uncommon for the left side, especially, to be slow in feeding the rockers. The average electric drill doesn't have the kahunas to turn the pump fast enough to overcome the leakage thru the clearances, the left side is numeral lasto on the oiling scheme larglely because the distributor housing does not make an oil tight seal when it caps the left side galley. So it takes a lot of performance from a drill motor to spin the pump to where it overcomes all the lubrication system's internal leakage. Plus when using hydraulics, they often won't feed the push-rods unless the engine is being rotated.

By in-large, I don't think you have a problem.

Bogie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.