Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to ship a car (in an enclosed truck) from Washington state to Florida. Any recommendations as to company or broker would be appreciated. Got quotes ranging from $1550 -$2700. Certainly want to do it as cheap as possible but safety/reliablility is more important. Thanks.

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Not gonna get much cheaper

I had my 66 Elky transported from SE Idaho to S. Texas----$975

I think I got a quote from Depandable Auto Shippers-----DAP

online quote was cheaper than the phone quote

Bryan

This was taken when it was picked up in Idaho Falls
Was delivered to me 2 days later-----I was out of town
My daughter had to receive it

Attachments

·
Registered
808 Posts
I had a Chevelle shipped from Seattle to MN, cost me $923.00, with $150 going to Broker and driver got the rest. 4Corners Auto Transport was the broker. Took 3 days to get it there.(1800 miles)

Word of Warning, don't take the lowest quote because your car may get shoved off and another one paying more money put in its place. Look for a broker who will load it once and deliver it. The damage is usually done in the loading and unloading. Get a separate insurance policy before the car is shipped and covers the car while in-transit, this way you are in control and in contact with your adjustor and not working thru a third party. The brokers insurance policy is not worth the paper its written on if you don't 'observe' the damage upon delivery, record it, and holdback payment.

Only problem I can see is, going WA to FL, highways don't run that way! Car will come WA to CA and then across to FL, or Wa to Chicago/Detroit and then down 75 to FL. Nothing runs diagonally WA to FL. I would expect to pay $1800 to 2200 for shipping and take two weeks to get it, after pickup.

Try here for quotes: http://www.autotransportdirect.com/

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
willowbilly3 - I like that ford site, added it to my favorites

thanks for the tip about the online quote Bryan, I find that in other things too that the online price is cheaper than a price received over the phone - nice car

alittle1 - excellent info, the insurance issue was worrying me, will definitely look into the policy type you recomended

thankyou

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Just one other small piece of advice. Always ship in an enclosed trailer or semi, at least if it's a rod or custom. Stock - you can probably do okay on an open trailer. It costs more to go enclosed...but worth every penny in my opinion.

I just shipped out my '30 coupe (WI to southern FLA) this week via A-Star Auto Transport (headquarters in New London, WI). Enclosed big rig (double decker), driver/owner, cost approx $1550.

I have also used Fivestar Wholesale Auto Transfer (U.S. office Las Vegas, NV toll free 877-247-1285) in the past. Fivestar has some of their own trucks but they are also a broker...so you may end up with a sub-contractor actually hauling your car. I like the owner/driver operations better but the brokers can often get you a cheaper rate because they have bigger rigs and can get more cars on the load.

Also, I've never used him personally, but I'd also recommend Weber Transport ( http://www.webertransports.com/index.html ) just based on the times I've talked to him on the phone. Nice guy, small trailers, personal service.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks cboy. So you sold your car, congratulations. If that was the one you had on this site it was a nice car - I checked it out several times. Probably should have bought it myself. It ended up down my way anyway it seems. I will be giving those folks you mentioned a call.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
i'm in the car transport business, try these guys there good. we are a independent car transport company. we book from these guys there straight up. we have a single axle 99 frightliner with a 53' take three 3/4 car hauler. we run NC to Denver Co. then Denver Co. to Chicago then DC Norfolk Va. or Chicago to NC.

with origination and destination address i can give you a little better idea on price, butt transport door to door will be (ballpark) around 50 to 60 cents a mi. (if the car is inop you can add another $150) i can give you a couple good brokers, i would use McNutt Auto Transport, there not the cheapest but they take care of you. or do a search 4 auto transport.

i could put it on a national board and get transporter to transport it 4 ya, and save you some money by cutting out the broker and broker fees, butt we are a transporter not a broker, witch means we have no brokers license and no brokers bond. transport outfits are insured, butt if something happened to your vehicle during transport it's nice to have a broker involved to help you, make sure you get taken care of.

if you pick a broker cause there cheap, and just say there having money trouble or there just a shady outfit, and the broker don't pay the transporter, the transporter can come back on you (the shipper)and make you pay, even if you paid the broker. then to get it right you have to go after the brokers bond.

the safest way is to give the broker a deposit 4 the transport, and then give the transporter remaining amount of payment to the truck at delivery, then you know transporter is paid (the deposit you give the broker is there fee 4 setting up transport)

if you can get pictures of the front and back and sides when the car is on the trailer on both ends do ! you will sign a inspection sheet on both ends (pickup and delivery). check your vehicle over GOOD B4 SIGNING AT DELIVERY, things like your under carriage, driveshaft, exhaust, roof and hood, trunk, bumpers, make sure that mileage is written on inspection sheet at pickup b4 singing. once you sign this, it releases them from any liability or damages you might find later, don't let them hurry you on checking out you car at delivery.

I would inspect the vehicle b4 its unloaded if you can. f not do inspect it real good, the top/roof and undercarriage. if theres is any damage get pics b4 its backed off the trailer or asap after its unloaded, and by all means write any damage down on inspection report b4 signing.

if you have any other questions just ask.

B4 your car leaves on a truck get trucking co. info including ICC MCC #

McNut would be my 1st choice

http://mcnutttransport.com/home/
McNutt Auto Tran Svc
Broker
P.O. Box 207
Lowry City, MO 64763
Preferred Contact Method: Any
Main Phone: 800-755-2324
Local Phone: 417-644-2273
Fax Number: 417-644-2275
Email: [email protected]
Web Site: http://mcnutttransport.com

Reindeer Auto Reloc.
Broker

212 W. 10th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202

Preferred Contact Method: Phone

Main Phone: 800-428-0589
Local Phone: 317-299-2878
Fax Number: 317-299-3099
Hours:
Email: Click to Send Email to Reindeer Auto Reloc.
Web Site: http://www.reindeerauto.com

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Since I mentioned A-Star Transport in my post above, I wanted to update the situation since the car had not yet been delivered when I wrote the first post.

I just got an email from the buyer indicating a couple of problems with that delivery. First, the delivery date/time was off by two days. While I don't consider this a major problem (all shippers run into scheduling problems) it is an annoyance which can be remedied with good communication by the shipper.

More importantly, however, the car apparently did not arrive in very good shape. As I mentioned in the post this shipper uses an enclosed double decker rig. And in this case the coupe I was selling was loaded on the bottom tier and yes, you guessed it, a car was loaded on top of it WITHOUT putting and sort of cover or protection over the coupe. The overhead car leaked some fluids (including brake fluid according to the buyer) onto the '30.

The good news is, no permanent damage was done to the paint. On the other hand, the entire problem could have been prevented (and the shipper could have had a much happier customer) with just a couple of bucks worth of light plastic tarp thrown over the car. The buyer had selected the shipper in this case, so I'm not feeling personally responsible. But this IS something to keep in mind, both as a buyer and seller, when shipping in a double decker rig.

·
Registered
808 Posts
CBOY,

Imagine for a moment, a plastic tarp sitting on top of the paint of your car for two thousand miles, vibrating, moving slightly back and forth, something like your straight-line sander would do. Got the picture now! What should have been done is a tarp stretched between the ramps with a diaper on it to catch any drips. More than likely it wasn't brake fluid but SHOCK OIL, the reason being is the cars are tied down and the shocks are under compression for a considerable length of time and the seal start to leak or weep. If it was brake fluid the paint would be stained or off the car.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Allitle1,

The tarps I've seen used are just 2-6 mil plastic. But I can certainly see your concern with heavier weight stuff. Many of the higher end cars have there own, tailor made car covers that the owner sells right with the car and attaches for the delivery. And your "hammock" slung from the racks would certainly do the trick as well.

My basic point was that this particular shipper made NO effort to prevent fluids dripping from one level to the next and that buyers/sellers should keep this problem in mind when a double decker rig is used.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
cboy said:
Allitle1,

My basic point was that this particular shipper made NO effort to prevent fluids dripping from one level to the next and that buyers/sellers should keep this problem in mind when a double decker rig is used.

we sold our business in sept 06. 2days late with good commutation is not bad, I've heard of transporters being 2 weeks late with no communication. as a open car transporter we transported new and restored vehicles worth 100,000 dollars plus. I'm telling ya check them undercarriages. most brokers say they have more trucks than they do. thats why independent transporters transport them. we pulled a 53' 3/4 take 3 wedge and a 53' take 3 3/4 car stepdeck then a 48' 4 car wally mo trailer. the 4 car trailer had 3 on top and one in the belly. ours had a complete floor above the car in the belly. theres a lot of 4 and 5 and 7 and 9 car independent transporters that don't give a darn. when you pass em on the road look at how there tied down and how close the cars are together.

Mustangsaly

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.