Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've reached the point where I'm ready to invest in some vital shop machinery and tools. I'd really really really like to get a blast cabinet but I'll probably have to wait another year before I can afford a quality one. For now I'm ready to get two things I have been needing for a long time, a hydraulic press and a parts washer.

I dont make a lot of money but I am willing to spend $200 to $700 each on a press and and parts washer.

I want a 20,000-lb press.
because they're such a simple, straightforward device would I be okay buying the $200 harbor freight press or am I asking for trouble? Which press do you recommend? I need it for bushings and bearings ranging from motorcycles to large 4x4 trucks

I need a solvent tank (parts washer) and I like one that has a decent basket size, I Will be using it for small and large engine and suspension pieces. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to be clear, I do not buy tools from harbor freight unless they are cheap throw away items, like sanding discs, one time use stuff etc etc, or barebones simple things like magnet brooms. But a hydraulic press seems so straightforward that the price at harbor freight is very appealing

·
Registered
57 Posts
Blast cabinet is the best thing I never wanted to buy. No Room in my shop but needed one. The Harbor freight ones are fine. Try looking for a used one, I found several when I bought mine.
There is a bunch of mods to make it great. Look it up on youtube.

Parts washer I built out of an oil furnace pump and motor and kitchen sink, almost free, works great.

20 Ton harbor freight press should be fine, can't beat bang for the buck. If the jack goes , just buy another.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,867 Posts
I also have a 12-ton HF press. I probably bought it around 2005 and it's still great. It does leak a wee bit, so every couple years I have to top it off. I figure 15 years of service is pretty good for the price I paid.

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,100 Posts
I have a Foremost 12 ton press (Chinese) I bought many many years ago. It worked fine all those years. About 5 years ago I purchased a Harbor Fright air over hydraulic 12 ton Jack and replaced the original jack on my press. It was a breeze to swap them out and now I just hook the air to the press and away I go. I have used it for all kinds of force type work. I have a small 12 inch brake that sets on the table and is actuated by the ram of the press. It is great and I have bent all kinds of metal and parts in it. I recommend the HF press for the average hobbyist and it will give years of service..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts