Hot Rod Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had any experience with these? I only as because eventually I'll be going with a 400 shortblock to add all my goodies to and I can get engines from this company at a 10% discount. I have seen some featured in Chevy hi pro magazine but I know very little about their quality and what not.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Only 1 of the 12 I've sold has had problems due to poor assembly practices.

Be careful using the parts house shortblocks for anything more than a mule engine. They get the cheapest parts avaiable and don't get the attention to detail that the purpose built performance engines get.

Larry

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
The one I replaced appeared to have been assembled by a 4 yr old with plastic toy tools. None of the bearings, rods or mains, were within spec. One of the rods had standard bearings on a cank that had been turned 0.020".

It was returned because of low oil pressure and a knocking sound. I wonder why?:rolleyes:

Larry

·
Registered
358 Posts
You get what you pay for. A cheap reman engine might be ok, if they started with worn rather than damaged components. Some production line reman shops do everything in bulk, mix and match as necessary to crank out as many as possible others rebuild one at a time. I've seen some that come out OK and are useable for your grocery-getter or everyday light use vehicle. I've seen others as described above. One I took apart had the valves ground so far that they had a sharp knife edge around the face! but burning one never came into play, the bottom end puked out the bottom of the oil pan before it could burn a valve.

I would trust a Factory Reman engine, a one at a time rebuilder or myself, but I wouldn't spend my hard earned frogskins on a cheap high volume production shop. For a SBC, a "Goodwrench" replacement engine is not too expensive, and is backed by GM. Variations are available from wimpy to killer depending upon how much you need. Any GM dealer can hook you up.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
engine

IMO,

A recon engine is ok if the only thing you are concerned about is price. I have installed 2 of them. The first one was a jeep engine and i found a problem with the oil pump ( this was not recons fault) but if it had been run first they would have found it. I caught the problem before the engine was installed and avoided a trashed engine..... The second one was a 350 sbc in a fleet truck. It worked great for about 1000 miles and then punched a ball through the rocker. I fixed it and it is still running. It might have 5000 miles on it now. I noticed on the 350 the valve springs were used just glass beaded....

Unless you are personal friends with the person that sells you the engine you will never collect on a warranty claim.....Plus if you are going to modify it there will be no warranty anyway.

If you make the choice on price just stick by your decisions and be willing to accept the outcome........

I would strongly suggest finding a competent machine shop and spending a few more $$$$$ And getting a better engine....

Keith

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sounds like when the time comes I'll go the alternate route. I wasn't too concerned about the money I just figured if they were a good company why not save a buck or two. But Id rather spend more now and not have to spend more later if you know what I mean. For now my 350 is running pretty strong but I know its getting old and when the times comes for a rebuild Id rather go with a larger smallblock for my truck.

PS. Any ideas where to get a good 400 shortblock? Id like to find one assembled however if needs be I'll do the assembling. Also, can heads for these be steam drilled once assembled? From what I know the heads aren't supposed to be drilled at the same diameter as the gasket, just a smaller hold to connect it to the water jakets? Is this correct? I'll have this done but I want to make sure the machine shop knows what they are doing lol.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Almost everyone so far has said the same thing.

Advance sells recon engines(or use too) They are probably one of the worst quality engines sold on the market. Stay away from them.... far, FAR away from them.

Their prices are also UN-REASONABLE!!! I looked up how much for a small chevy 3.1L today at work. Over 1,700 dollars!!!! Rip off and a half.

EDIT: I remember one guy about a year 1/2 ago had to go through 3 or 4 recon engines they built for him. I think the first one did'nt last 250 miles till something went very wrong, then the second one lasted till 5000 miles then there was no compression on two of the cylinders and I remember the last one the guy brought back spun a bearing at 30 miles. Recon needs to be put out of business. Jeep inline 6.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Recon Engines...

As the number one whole sale distributor of engines on the east coast, it makes me proud to have been part of such a company. It's a company that took 35 years to build into three locations with approximately 2,000 employees at one time. With the unexpected death of the founder compounded by the co-founder's sudden stroke, due to loosing his brother, the company's fate is sealed. Engine re-manufacturing and re-manufacturing auto parts was what they did best TOGETHER. They knew the business and did it well. As the daughter of one of the two men, it has become an unbelievable moment for me as well as within the industry to see the collapse of what took two men 35yrs. to build be brought to a halt.

Sofia Mancini

·
Registered
286 Posts
Sofia Mancini said:
As the number one whole sale distributor of engines on the east coast, it makes me proud to have been part of such a company. It's a company that took 35 years to build into three locations with approximately 2,000 employees at one time. With the unexpected death of the founder compounded by the co-founder's sudden stroke, due to loosing his brother, the company's fate is sealed. Engine re-manufacturing and re-manufacturing auto parts was what they did best TOGETHER. They knew the business and did it well. As the daughter of one of the two men, it has become an unbelievable moment for me as well as within the industry to see the collapse of what took two men 35yrs. to build be brought to a halt.

Sofia Mancini
in this monthes engine builder magazine it says recon is opening a rebuiding facility in mexico. sam-missle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Recon in Mexico...

Yes, it's true. Recon has been rebuilding engines in Mexico for years. When the cost of re-manufacturing engines increased, Mexico was the answer. Re-building engines at that location and then shipping to the east cost for distribution was one cost effective solution to an increasing financial problem.

·
Registered
286 Posts
recon engines

sofia, i am a custom engine builder and have been buying from liberty for about ten years, there have been some problems lately. is liberty in for the long haul? sam-missle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Liberty....

sam-missle,
Most people would think it's better to be more diversified but in this case, I guess you can it a plus for only knowing how to do one thing. Yes, Liberty is in for the long haul. As far as some of the problems you were experiencing with them, what were they?

·
ASE Certified Master Machinist
1967 Chevrolet Biscayne 10-71 blown 433 Big Block Chevy, T400 & 12 bolt 3.73 rearend
332 Posts
Auction

I received an auction notice for the Philly facility and was surprised to say the least. Did the auction go well?

·
Registered
4 Posts
auction...

You know, when your self employed, you make investments within your own company that you know with time will be cost effective. The cost of doing business. And when you see your risk pay off, your glad you did it. But when the day comes when you realize that a decision like this has to be made, it's just a whole different story. To witness all the sacrifice and passion you have for your own business and the success of it be reduced and divided was unbearable. The auction was so much more than just an "auction" and became entirely too painful to watch. The auctioneer and bank will do the calculations.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Siggy,
Portland is 1mm people (?)....gotta be atleast 3 very good local engine shops who can build you a "quality" 400 short block

Autozone sells Recon.

·
Beyond the Sea
170 Posts
I researched alot of engine rebuilders when it came time for a new 283 sbc here in Germany. A local rebuild would have cost 3 times what it cost to get one state side. I bought from http://www.chevy-gas-diesel-engines.com/chevy-400-engines.html and have been very happy with it. It's been 3 years now, probably 20,000 miles or so and she runs perfectly. All new parts. 2 years ago I ordered another one for my buddy. Same story, great engine, good service reps to deal with too. They also installed custom parts, just the way we wanted it, balanced too.

They're located not too far from you, in WA state.

I'm not a troll... just a happy customer :)

·
ASE Certified Master Machinist
1967 Chevrolet Biscayne 10-71 blown 433 Big Block Chevy, T400 & 12 bolt 3.73 rearend
332 Posts
Sofia Mancini said:
The auction was so much more than just an "auction" and became entirely too painful to watch. The auctioneer and bank will do the calculations.
I can understand that. It is very difficult to watch something that your family and loved ones have put their blood, sweat and tears into, disappear at the drop of a gavel. I hate to see any American business go to another country, but our government and to a lesser extent, the people of this country sometimes make it necessary. The government makes it more and more expensive to do business and everyone wants everything cheaper and cheaper with no decline in quality. Unfortunately, it can't be done most of the time.
I hope everything works out and everything goes well in your future.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.