Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i am working on a set of iroc wheels,what do you spray on them to keep from oxidation? And where do you get the gold inlay color and what can you strip the old finish with? Is there a special kind of paint and clear for aluminum?
Any information will be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
10 Posts
To paint aluminum, you have to use a special primer, onc you've primed it properly you can use any paint on it but because you are going to clearcoat the wheels you can't really do that. I've used an exterior lacquer on aluminum wheels before with decent results. I think that its more important that you prep the area well and clean it up using different grades of wet & dry paper until you get the finish that you want. To do the gold, just get the same brand of paint as the clear. You could also try your local auto parts store, they may have a product just for that, and keep in mind that depending on the climate where you live and the driving conditions the finish is only going to have a limited lifespan anyway. My '02 Silverado wheels started to go after the fourth year, but that is S. Ontario with all the snow and road salt.
Fringo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.