Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1962 Ford Galaxie 500 XL that I am working on. I found a grill that is in pretty good shape, but needs to be buffed/polished up. Can someone give me an idea of how to go about this and the best way to preserve it after it's done? I heard that you clear coat it afterward, but is this an auto clear or can use use a rattle can clear?

Thanks,

BobG

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Hey Bob,
Most factory aluminum grilles were anodized. You will need to strip all of this off the grille and then you'll be able to polish it. I wouldn't use a clear coat (spray paint) over it. Getting it cleaned up and prepped for paint is going to be tough to do and not cause any scratching. Plus the paint will chip from stones and such and then you'll have oxidation starting where it's chipped...
I would recommend you talk to an anodizing shop. This is your best bet. They can strip it, repolish it and then re-anodize it. It should be close to factory new and it's not really that expensive. Check it out and let us know what you find out...
Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.