Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Of course, and exspecially if its older then you are, those old ones got power! Seriously, yes you can, just some of the newer machines don't do to well with leathers and really thick fabrics, but thats what I have. A 1948 Singer, turquoise and white unleashed beast in a box...weighs more than I do...

Faust

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have to agree with halloweenking. I've always done my own upholstery with a good ol' pedal singer sewing machine. They're big and not very fancy but they can withstand almost any material you can throw at it!

·
Registered
32 Posts
to sew an interior in a car properly...or should i say,to get professional results...u need a "walking foot" sewing machine,and a welt foot to sew the welting or piping as some people callit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have a 1948 Singer. Sinse its not a walking foot, I have a hard time sewing contract cloth and vinyl. At the end of the run, the pieces are unequal (one piece bunches up) unless I pin EVERYTHING. Anyone have a way around this?

·
Registered
32 Posts
stitchin'...that's why u need awalking foot machine.old singer's are fine 4 light duty,but to do it right.......i'm tellin' ya!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Vintage is correct. The problem with home machines is the gauge of thread is limited to small, and the previously stated problem with fabric moving. The walking foot always has one foot down so it takes care of that. I have had helpful upholsterers allow me to use their machines when I'm out of town working on jobs. They may be rare. Not much can go wrong with sewing machines so its pretty safe to let someone else loose on. So long as you don't want to take over the trim shop for a week you might have luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Forgive me for bringing up this old thread(ima a newbie) :) ...but what im wanting to know is what gauge thread and needle to use on my home sewing machine?

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Probably, i bought some at a fabric shop. I have a commercial Consew but i use a large White with a walking foot for some of the thinner trim work

·
NAVY VETERAN
971 Posts
my wife is plant manager here:
http://torringtondistributors.com/
ill see if she can dig up some leather needles .
btw she did my camaro seats in leather it looks exactly like the vinyl covers but in leather.
also did the door panels in leather.
really nice!
I gave the owners an idea to do classic car leather covers and after seeing mine as an example they seem to like the idea.
So soon you might get your seat covers from them.

·
Acoustic Rock ... for real.
1,983 Posts
I have a 1949 Singer Machine and I love it, no end! I did some modifications to it, too, to get a much larger stitch out of it ... but, like others have said, in order to do a decent job with leathers and heavier materials, you really need an industrial machine with a walking foot/walking needle.

I found a great buy on eBay and bought this Tacsew T111-155 with a table, servo motor and thread stands (the works) for under $900 ... you can purchase one HERE ... I sure am glad I did.

·
Registered
46 Posts
yup!...

yea horovath, i remember you saying that. unfortunately im pretty broke at the moment...which is why i was asking about home machines. anyone live in NY and wanna show me the ropes?

~Jason

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Hi Horvath; I bought 2 real old commercial Singers from an old upholstery shop that was closing. This guy never used the newer ones.

He didn't have motors for the 2 I bought. He told me to get a clutch motor. I got one off ebay but it was 220v and real BIG & heavy. Should I throw in the towel & give up, or is it worth getting it to work. Just want to do vinyl seat covers with NO experience :(

·
6,734 Posts
If there's nothing wrong with the sewing head, and all you need is a clutch motor, by all means get the right one and go for it. Have the machine checked out by a sewing machine pro before you do anything. He can tell you if it's worth buying a motor for it. I have two clutch motors, one brand new, and one older one I'm going to put on E-bay, but if you send me a private message, I'll sell you whichever one you want, or both. They will both work fine on the Singer 111W type machines. I just replaced both my clutch motors with servo motors.

Reactions: cheeptruck

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Hi DanTwoLakes... Here's a list of what I got for $200.

-Singer 16-41

-Singer 16-141 Both without tables or motors. The 141 was sold as a working unit. The 41 was thrown in the deal "for parts" but looks the exact same condition as far as moving parts.

- 2 of the big rolls of thread (black & white) " Consolidated Thread Corp # 92 UVR"

-1 gross of white prewound bobbins "Blue Mountain Ind. MD 92S style A"

-1 gross black prewound bobbins "Coats American 69 A-twist"

- a few yards of white & also black vinyl. and some premade welting...all of this material was for my sons tractor seats & practicing.

Ok, then...are those models of Singers OK? ...and are those threads I got OK?

Does a clutch type motor tend to stall/stop when I would be going slow on tight turns, etc? What I mean is that if it starts to stall and I push more on the lever...will the clutch really bite and then "take off too fast"?

Lastly, what is a brief description of a "servo type"? ...and is it worth considering for just occasional use? Thanks

1 - 20 of 48 Posts