Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and I needed some help. I have a 1976 Chevy K-10 (Silverado 4x4). It is lifted 10" with 40" tires and 20" wheels. Right now i have a P.O.S. 350 in it, I am planning on putting a new engine in it, but i dont know what to put in there. I wanna HP and torque out the ***, but i want it to be really reliable. I was thinking of a 383 stroker, but i keep hearing that they are not reliable. Is this true? And what would you guys suggest i get.

Here is what i have as of now (i think ;) )
Trans: turbo 350 3 speed
and i am getting 4:88 gears after the motor.

·
Registered
319 Posts
We kinda need more info on the drivetrain and what you plan to do with it. Since you got a '76 1/2 ton, you should have the 12-bolt rear and Dana 44 front. With the 1/2 ton axles, you don't want to get too crazy with hp/torque cause the axles won't hold it especially w/ 40" tires. Open front and rear differentials will also help the axles live longer. Cubic inches make it so much easy to get more hp/torque but there comes a tradeoff on what the drivetrain can handle. Since you also got a turbo 350, I would stay with a small-block. A 383 is reliable as long as they are built correctly and this is with any motor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it wont be a daily driver, mostly a weekend ride. Also i will not be doing any offroading in it at all, but i still want the hp and torque. I probably have a budget of around $6,000 or so.

·
Registered
319 Posts
If I am right, with the 1976 model year and earlier, you do not have to worry above emissions. Since you are looking for the most hp/torque, I would go with a big block. If I am right on emissions, the possibilities are endless just depending on your budget and the gas you want to run. When going with a shop, do some research and talk to other people who has had work done there. With 1/2 ton axles though, a posi or locker in the rear will shorten the drive lines life spans due the weight of the tires. A big block can be built just as cheap as a stroker and will produce more torwue/hp. Good luck in your build and very nice truck!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for the comments. yea i dont have to smog it anymore so that doesnt matter, also i figure that gas mileage is gonna be ***** anyways so i just wanna get the best motor i can for the money.

ok i made a little mistake in saying my budget is 6000 for the motor. thats 6000 for the motor and gears/posi.

if i got a 454 would i need a new transmission or could i use the same one?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.