·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In order to install Sanderson blockhugger exhaust on my '32 Ford coupe, I
need to use a 'heim joint' and one extra knuckle. Do I need to build a
bracket and anchor it to the frame for support? If I run the anchor bolts
through the frame will it squeeze the frame? Should I weld the bracket to
the frame? Is there an aftermarket support this is available? Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
35 Posts
cares said:
In order to install Sanderson blockhugger exhaust on my '32 Ford coupe, I
need to use a 'heim joint' and one extra knuckle. Do I need to build a
bracket and anchor it to the frame for support? If I run the anchor bolts
through the frame will it squeeze the frame? Should I weld the bracket to
the frame? Is there an aftermarket support this is available? Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks for the help.
If you are using one shaft between the steering column and the steering box with one joint at the column end and one at the steering box you do not need a support bracket. If you are using 2 shafts with 3 "joints" you will need to add a support bracket attached to the frame. I am using blockhugger headers on my SBC in my 34' ford coupe with a mustang steering box and cross steering with one shaft and 2 joints, close, but the shaft clears the headers by 1/4". Hope this answers your question.
Kyle....hot 34 coupe

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will using 3 joints. My problem is where to locate the heim bolt and
how to secure it to the frame. I don't want to drill through the frame so
the bolt heads show on the outside of the frame.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
One possibility might be to simply weld a nicely shaped (like oval or round) piece of 1/4" plate to the frame, grind it nice a smooth around the edges, and then tap it AND the frame for the thread size of your heim.

·
Registered
110 Posts
On My 36 I also have 3 joints, one being a double so I need two points to secure the joints from flopping. For one I welded a TAB on top of the frame rail, drilled a hole thru the TAB, then welded the hiem nut to the Tab. for the 2nd I drilled a hole thru the inside frame web, because my frame horn is open I was able to stick the hiem in and sneek the nut on it from inside the frame rail. If I was not able to get the nut on from the inside I would have welded the Hiem Nut to the frame. hope this helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts