Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Foreword - yes I know remans are junk and you get what you pay for... I'm on the verge of dropping the $495 for a PSC box but the idea of getting something "good enough" for half that is tempting.

The '68 Camaro has loosey-goosey steering when trying to hold a straight line. When I put the thing together, I tightened up the adjustor screw on the gearbox... it helped a little but not much. The I can turn the input shaft maybe 25 degrees before the pitman arm moves.

In an effort to "upgrade", I ordered a Cardone 27-6550 that was supposed to get me 12.7:1 ratio. I measured the box and it is actually a 14.4:1. I've read about the ratios on these being hit or miss... this one was a miss. I was also surprised by the amount of play. Its tighter than my old box but with the degree wheel I measured 20 degrees of input shaft turn before the output moved. The 12.7:1 ratio deal was going to be $135 for the box plus another $100 in fittings and coupler)

I figured if I'm not getting the 12.7:1 ratio, I might as well go with the OE cardone box with PN 27-6509 for $180. That way I don't have to mess with a new coupler and hose fittings. This box measured at 14.4:1 which was good. Problem was that it had zero play in it. I believe there is supposed to be some play in the boxes. It had a real tight spot right at the center of the input shaft sweep. I loosened the nut and gave the screw 1/4 turn out. Now there is just a bit of play and no tight/sticky spots throughout the movement.

I've got another 27-6550 on order to see if it'll have the right ratio. But if that don't work out I'll probably stick with the OE 27-6509 box since I have seemed to fix the adjustment issue.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Sal

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Second cardone 27-6550 arrived today and it was also a 14.4:1. So I think I'm gonna go with the OEM box since the "fast" box isn't any faster.

This is just a street car that I plan on doing HPDE with a couple times to get some more experience before I bring out the NASCAR. As long as the steering is not loosey goosey I think it'll do.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
To adjust the thing, loosen the lock nut and turn the screw in clock wise. Just a 1/8 turn at a time until you get close to 1" of play between going left and going right. One inch of on center play means you can move the steering wheel, at the rim, back and forth 1" before it goes left or right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.