Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
8,552 Posts
Even though the Govt had a good idea, being it was the Govt that implemented it.
Cash for clunkers was nothing more than "welfare" for people to trade in there car and get something for nothing.
Many usable decent cars were traded /destroyed that could have been re purposed and recycled
It was just another one of the Gov'ts debacles ...as usual.
They should have sold the clunkers and taken in worse cars in trade, until they got to the point where they actually had some clunkers.
Some of the "clunkers" were better than what I see many people driving.
Using any good salvagable parts from cars is wise. Destroying perefectly good used engines so no one can use them makes no sense and is not good green thinking.
But then I knew this long before today. :evil:

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,700 Posts
it got me $4500 for a rusted out 97 dodge 4x4 w/ 240,000 miles, that might have been worth $2500 trade in :D
plus the dealership could only keep $150 for their trouble, so a couple mths later they mailed me a check for $450
before i cash for clunkered the dodge i sold the tailgate, both bumpers, headliner, headlights, console and one mirror and pocketed almost a grand.
then i wrote on the windshield: new mopar trans, rearend and front end rebuilt

yes it was a bogus program, but i took advantage of it
i paid 3 grand less for my 09 sierra than i did that 97 dodge :D:D:D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here in Alberta the car dealerships are doing this and I have seen 2 classic vehicles destroyed because of it - a 1973 Impala and a sweet '71 C10 short box. The old farts that owned them had no clue as to how valuable these vehicles were(there was NO rust on either of them and the truck only had 43257 miles on the odometer) the truck was owned by some guy that must have been going on 90 years old.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.