Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

About to begin the Stealth RAM FI intake swap on my TPI. Only problem is my current TPI uses the type of distributor with the coil in the cap. I was told that later year Camaros (like 87, 88 etc) used the smaller cap distributor with a remote coil. This is what I need however I am having a hard time finding what cars they came on as the ones on the 87 and 88 and up Camaros have the same part number distributor that I have already. These stock units work pretty well in my experience and I'd hate to have to throw down 300 bucks on some aftermarket unit.

Any ideas?

·
Time is short, are you ready?
655 Posts
Suggestions

Siggy,
My 1991 Pontiac Firebird GTA (5.7) has a remote coil HEI distributor with the dual connector. The same distributor and coil setup is in my 1994 Surburban with the 5.7. I agree, a stock unit and coil will suffice. No need to spend $300 on an MSD, etc. Good luck, Ed. www.edgesz28.com

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will that plug into my current 86 computer setup that uses the ESC unit? They got rid of the ESC in 91 I believe.

·
Time is short, are you ready?
655 Posts
I do not know. If you do not get a response from anyone on this board, I would recommend calling Street & Performance. If it doesn't, I'll bet they have a piggy-back adapter or some other type of solution. Heck, give them a call regardless. Ed.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Go to this link and search for Part Number 8401. I use one of these on my car, allowing me to also utilize the Blaster 2 coil. I love it, but just my opinion. Hope this is what you're looking forMSD HEI Remote Coil Adapter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts